modemachines xoxbox problems

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
midnight_gazette

modemachines xoxbox problems

Post by midnight_gazette »

ok let's talk clear, I regret buying an assembled xoxbox from modemachines.
Sent my unit back a while ago: buzzing wall wart, not in tune, weird problem with tempo knob (it crashed as I twisted it), midi socket not properly mounted. At first they promised me to sent a new unit but infact they decided to repair the one I sent them (two months passed in the meantime).
Then my xoxbox was back but the only issue they resolved was the one with the tempo knob and now I decided to fix it myself.

I'm in the process of tuning it and I checked the PSU first. It seems ok except for the ceramic capacitor C1 which doesn't give any voltage: I read somewhere it is related to the headphone op amp... that makes sense as the headphone out never worked. Then I measured the voltage between the pins of j4 and as I tweak the TM6 the max value I can get is 5.34v which is ok as I can set it to 5.33 but I know the range should be from 5.25 to above 5.40.
Then I tuned the unit tweaking tm5 and tm6 and it seems to work pretty good but I don't know what's wrong with the range of TM6.

Thanks and beware of these proudly handmade in germany modemachines' xoxboxes :evil:

substyler

Re: modemachines xoxbox problems

Post by substyler »

midnight_gazette wrote: Thanks and beware of these proudly handmade in germany modemachines' xoxboxes :evil:
the sticker on the back says "Made In Germany"... but they are made in Bangkog :)
you should get your money back

Post by guest »

if you can get 5.333v on j4
dont worry about the range not beign right

ic c1 has no voltage
then the headphone out wont work
what are the voltages on all pins of ic21
ic21 is probably broken

mmm

Post by mmm »

Hi,

this is Malte from Mode Machines. I took over part of the service (mainly for the xoxboxes) in January.

I'm sorry to hear things were not handled as you expected; this probably happened "before my time" (because I don't recall having a xoxbox with the described symptoms on my desk). If you want to you could send it again to Mode Machines and have it fixed (properly this time).

If there are no 6V on J5 of the IOboard it could be (as guest wrote) a broken IC21 or a problem on the PCB (I have seen plenty copper bridges on various PCB's).

Again, sorry for the sub-standard service. If you continue having problems with your xoxbox you can contact me via private message.

mmm

Post by mmm »

SubStyler wrote:
midnight_gazette wrote: Thanks and beware of these proudly handmade in germany modemachines' xoxboxes :evil:
the sticker on the back says "Made In Germany"... but they are made in Bangkog :)
you should get your money back
All current new Mode Machines xoxboxes ARE being built (read: soldered and assembled) in Germany.

substyler

Post by substyler »

MMM wrote:All current new Mode Machines xoxboxes ARE being built (read: soldered and assembled) in Germany.
LOL... all current?
yes... of course... but the "Made In Germany" stickers were there starting with the first delivered unit.
so why people should believe you now, if they were deceived for years?
I have one of your x0xb0x2 or so called MK2 here and I hope that this IS from China and not made here in Germany... otherwise it would be a shame!

anyone like to see some pictures from the x0xb0x MK2?

mmm

Post by mmm »

SubStyler wrote:
MMM wrote:All current new Mode Machines xoxboxes ARE being built (read: soldered and assembled) in Germany.
LOL... all current?
yes... of course... but the "Made In Germany" stickers were there starting with the first delivered unit.
so why people should believe you now, if they were deceived for years?
I have one of your x0xb0x2 or so called MK2 here and I hope that this IS from China and not made here in Germany... otherwise it would be a shame!

anyone like to see some pictures from the x0xb0x MK2?
As I said I took over the service in January, so I'm not really knowledgeable about what happened before. We also made some parts optimizations in the last months; there also had been some QC issues that are hopefully worked out by now.

Feel free to post the pics.

substyler

Post by substyler »

MMM wrote:As I said I took over the service in January, so I'm not really knowledgeable about what happened before. We also made some parts optimizations in the last months; there also had been some QC issues that are hopefully worked out by now
for sure...

izze

Post by izze »

I dont wanna heat things up.. but where are the pics of the Modemachines x0x :D

substyler

Post by substyler »

izze wrote:I dont wanna heat things up.. but where are the pics of the Modemachines x0x :D
oh please... I'm pretty sure you DON'T wanna see that and it would be not fair by me to show them in public.

izze

Post by izze »

Why not ? Maybe i wanna copy it to upgrade my x0xb0x to MK2 ? :P

substyler

Post by substyler »

izze wrote:Why not ? Maybe i wanna copy it to upgrade my x0xb0x to MK2 ? :P
hehe... for me "MK2" means an advancement... something better, something new.
but the x0xb0x MK2 is not a real new x0xb0x. the guys just call it x0xb0x 2 or MK2, but it's a standard x0xb0x without anything new.

I think it's simply a marketing trick to make people think that this is something better or new or whatever. nevertheless you can increase the price in this way.
good idea so far 8)

tomorrow I'll announce the x0xb0x MK6... so I'll be 4-5 years ahead :lol:

orange_hand

Post by orange_hand »

hehe.... I would also like to see the great work performed on the mk2 :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”