Range clicks on xoxbox

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Zemky

Range clicks on xoxbox

Post by Zemky »

Hi a few months ago I bought a premade xoxbox to a colleage, yesterday I opened just to take a look inside the acid box, but now after closing and screwing notes above c sound like clicks ( like a gate or something like that). If i turn the tune knob above the middle position the sound turn to cliks. The same
With notes in random-keyboard-and sequencer mode. There are just click on the 2 highest octaves. I think that is a TT unit but who knows, look like one of that mm xoxbox

I really appreciate your help x0xnerds! ;)

mmm

Re: Range clicks on xoxbox

Post by mmm »

I'm not 100% sure if I understand the problem:

Is this happening only for notes above a certain point on the keyboard; or is it mainly depending on the position of the tune knob?

For example, can you program a pattern and it sounds ok; and when turning the tune knob it goes into this clicking mode? Is this correct?

Zemky

Post by Zemky »

Sorry my english :P

This happens when I turn the tune knob up above the middle point But when I played few sequences I had stored I noticed that higher notes (2higher octaves) were swaped with clics, this happens on keyboard and random mode as well.
I think that could be the vco pitch

Zemky

Post by Zemky »

So... Or vco pitch must be fixed cos doesnt accept higher notes or digital part doesnt send properly... I think so,
Can tuning be a solution??
Thank you!

Zemky

Post by Zemky »

I noticed that higher notes can be heard but I just noticed that on headphones, with my
Monitors all can i hear is a click noise and the higher note I play the lower volume I notice.

Post by guest »

measure the cv out of the x0x
as you play higher and higher notes
see what the voltage is
when the notes turn into clicks
then check which note is the one when this happens

mmm

Post by mmm »

Since you mentioned that this happened after opening and closing the box:

Have you opened only the bottom or did you also remove the front panel? Have you tried to take apart the xoxbox again after that strange behaviour started? If so, did the problem go away then?

Try to slightly (!) bend the tune knob in various directions; does this have any effect on the problem?

Zemky

Post by Zemky »

Previously was working fine (well,, I just heard xoxboxes on youtube) first opened
The frontplate and then i opened the whole case from the back. I took a look inside and assembled the unit.

Sockets and everything is plugged and checked.

Sorry for my poor writing im drowning my sorrow with some beer and watching football match

mmm

Post by mmm »

OK, we'll work on this some more tomorrow.

Here's a quick guess (it's a bit of a shot in the dark but I have seen this being the cause of other problems before):

When you reassembled the xoxbox you may have put some (permanent) pressure on the tuning knob. I've seen xoxboxes where the tuning potentiometer wasn't soldered 100% centered; when the front panel is attached to the box this may press down the tuning pot (not the shaft of course, but the portion of the base where the shaft enters). This in turn *may* lead to all sorts of nasty behaviour because with a bit of bad luck the metal case of the potentiometer *may* make contact with certain traces of the PCB, hereby shorting them to ground.

Again, without additional information it's difficult to debug from afar. Please measure the CV out as described.

Zemky

Post by Zemky »

I uploaded a video showing the behaviour of my machine, I still have to ask for stuff to measure the gate voltage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsTfMoB6 ... ata_player

Zemky

Post by Zemky »

Btw the tune knob is ok, maybe when I opened the unit scratched some ic or chip or whatelse. :S

substyler

Post by substyler »

MMM wrote:This in turn *may* lead to all sorts of nasty behaviour because with a bit of bad luck the metal case of the potentiometer *may* make contact with certain traces of the PCB, hereby shorting them to ground
this is why we have made completely new PCBs with another routing, so there will never be a short from the pot again.

altitude

Post by altitude »

SubStyler wrote:
MMM wrote:This in turn *may* lead to all sorts of nasty behaviour because with a bit of bad luck the metal case of the potentiometer *may* make contact with certain traces of the PCB, hereby shorting them to ground
this is why we have made completely new PCBs with another routing, so there will never be a short from the pot again.

Nice. I thought is was just me. I've been clear coating those traces with some acrylic paint, seems to help it.

mmm

Post by mmm »

Zemky wrote:I uploaded a video showing the behaviour of my machine, I still have to ask for stuff to measure the gate voltage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsTfMoB6 ... ata_player
If I'm not mistaken this means the problem is independent of the CV.

Can you clarify the following a bit:
Zemky wrote:I noticed that higher notes can be heard but I just noticed that on headphones, with my
Monitors all can i hear is a click noise and the higher note I play the lower volume I notice.
It is a bit difficult to hear in the youtube video: Does the first note with that "click" still produce a sound? Is that of the normal pitch? Do you hear any pitches at all, perhaps with the volume turned up a lot?

aminoacid

Post by aminoacid »

if its only when you turn the tune knob (and not when sequenser is plying high programed notes) then your pot could be broken.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”