Incorrect pitch

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Martin_81

Incorrect pitch

Post by Martin_81 »

Hi Guys

I have just finished building my 2nd x0xb0x. I performed all the tests along the way and they all seemed fine. I'm having problems with incorrect pitch. When I run in random mode for example some of the notes sound as though they are an octave to high whilst some are OK. I hope you follow me. Luckily I have all I.C's socketed so tried changing the 74HC175 but no luck. I have tried a different micro controller from a fully working x0x and its still the same.

One thing I did notice whilst building and testing the VCA was that when I probed with my headphones to check for a struck note it didn't sound quite right. I did hear a note but it wasn't as clear as when I tested my previous fully working build. I have no idea if thats related or not.

I have made a recording of the random mode if anyone wants to hear it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Martin

antto

Re: Incorrect pitch

Post by antto »

the "random" mode isn't really random at all

can you program a pattern (or two) of the 12 pitches in one octave, as well as the C note transposed in each possible octave
that would help
also, if you're running windows, you can try my vco tuning vst..

BANNED, i should put the link in my signature..

Martin_81

Post by Martin_81 »

Hi

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

I'm not sure I follow you. Yes I can program a sequence of C notes at all octaves, this is how I tuned my 1st x0x but on this 2nd build its impossible to get it tuned properly. Sometimes the pitch shifts by itself without me touching anything.

I'm aware the random mode isn't truly random, this is how I can tell something is wrong as the notes in the random mode sound completely different to any other x0xb0x I have heard including my 1st one.

Martin

antto

Post by antto »

how impossible?
can you record an audio sample to show it?

Martin_81

Post by Martin_81 »

Hi

Yes I have a sample of the random mode and then keyboard mode. I just need to find a way to upload the file and then ill post a link to it.

Thanks for your time

Martin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”