Problem building power supply
Moderators: Altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, mome rath, phono

Problem building power supply

by supahflyretard on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Greetings,

I was hoping I wouldn't have to post here but unfortunately I ran into trouble almost straight away. I'm a beginner at electronics so please forgive my stupidity.

After soldering the jack an measuring, I get a reading of 10.5. I then soldered the iN4001 diodes in place and next the 220uF capacitors.

Here is where things start to go wrong. Measuring C3 doesn't give me a reading and c5 gives me something around 32 instead of 26 which the guide says.

Regardless, I carried on to solder the 7805 5V regulator and the C4/C6 capacitors.

Now, when I measure from the metal back and the left most pin, I get a reading of 10.5 instead of 5.25.

Is it my capacitor that I'm not getting a reading from that needs replacing? At one point when trying to get a reading from the capacitor I could see some small sparks around the solder points. Other reading stayed the same after this incident though.

ANy help would be geratly appreciated, I attached 2 screenshots of my progress. Note that the solder joints do not connect, it just looks like it in the picture.
photo1.jpg
photo1.jpg (667.36 KiB) Viewed 1049 times

photo2.jpg
photo2.jpg (248.42 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
supahflyretard

Re: Problem building power supply

by SubStyler on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:28 pm

did you set your multimeter to read AC or DC?
electronics consists to 80% of superstition and to 20% of fairy tales • DIY or die!
SubStyler

by supahflyretard on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks for your reply :)

I had to read my multimeter manual for that :)

I was apparently measuring AC, when I switch to DC I'm getting a solid 5.02 VDC. Can I safely assume that everything is in working order so far?
supahflyretard

by SubStyler on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 pm

supahflyretard wrote:Can I safely assume that everything is in working order so far?

oh yes, I think so.

take your time, always triple check the orientation of transistors, electrolytic and tantal caps... and hold your desk clean to prevent shorts :mrgreen:
good luck on your project!
electronics consists to 80% of superstition and to 20% of fairy tales • DIY or die!
SubStyler

by john444 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi SubStyler,

Good catch
SubStyler wrote:did you set your multimeter to read AC or DC?

John
john444

by supahflyretard on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 am

Thanks so much for your help! I'll take things slow and hopefully I can just post in the completed x0xb0x thread later :)
supahflyretard

by orange_hand on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 am

Hi,

as you've got issues already in this early stage of the building process, you should try to improve your soldering skills. There are various great tutorials on youtube available that will help you. I would also recommend to cut the leads short after a component has been soldered onto the PCB.

Cheers
orange
orange_hand