PLEASE HELP! My preassambled XoX is broken!

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mario1089

Re: PLEASE HELP! My preassambled XoX is broken!

Post by mario1089 »

Thank you very much for now!
Ill check soldering, but remember the problem appeared /disappeared without any mechanical Impact. Just from Standing in the office it healed itself once, then next time when it got bad again, it did not react on (slight!) hits or shaking it a little. I'm sure its one of the parts itself.

Could we replace or bypass Q12 for a test or something?

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I`ve looked at the soldering, measured if parts are connected and tried to move all the parts there in the filter section while it was "playing". No results. As said, I`ve seen many bad conmections on old / bad soldering, and I`m actually sure it`s not that. The thing got broke and (healed once) just from sitting there doing nothing (turned on).

So, we can try to find the broken part explicitely by doing more tests - but only if you or someone else has any idea how to test.
Or are we at a point where a guess would also do? I could order Q12 and Q11 quickly for not much money I think. Or is that guess still too vague from what you/we know?

mmm

Post by mmm »

You could swap Q12 and Q26; if the oscillator still works afterwards Q12 is ok. Or you could swap Q12 and Q21. You'll be able to measure the filter ladder even with Q21 completely removed; the filtering itself will work (but you won't hear a thing).
Just a reminder: The AC component along the ladder (at C18, C19, C24, C26) is clearly under 100mV peak to peak; over here I measure around 40 to 60 mV.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I put Q12 at the place of Q26, but the osc still works. This could be this is because the Q12 has a "healed moment" (maybe healed by the heat of soldering for a while), but who knows.. will check it again later. What is even much WORSE is I destroyed Q26 while trying to desolder. Damn, they are soldered at both sides - this was much harder than I expected. I have a desolder stick-pump-kinda thing, and I have done this before, but these parts where for me impossible to desolder without breaking them. Anyway, dont`t know what to do now. Any ideas?

mmm

Post by mmm »

If everything else fails I probably could repair it for you. I have the tools and spare parts.

Of course this takes out the fun of doing this yourself, but if you feel you're at a point where you're starting to do damage to your xoxbox it might be an option.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I think I gave up for now. My fun is software anyway:) I may send it back to the seller and buy a new one. I`ll keep your offer as a fallback solution if this somehow does not work out. To where would I have to send it, btw???

Big big thanks!! It was very interesting, and I feel like much more into the thing now, and this may help for some mods I may do in future.

Also, check out my firmware mods when I`m back on track - I ll let you know.

mmm

Post by mmm »

I'm in Germany.

As far as sending the xoxbox back to the seller: The situation "It stopped working, then I tried to fix it but broke a part" is usually a bit problematic...

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

That Makes Things a Lot easier):

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”