x0xb0x repair US?

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jhochenbaum

x0xb0x repair US?

Post by jhochenbaum »

Hi all,
I was wondering if there was anyone in the US (Im based in LA at the moment) that could troubleshoot my x0x. I tried getting in touch with factory_peasent who seemed to provide good service in the past, but he unfortunately doesn't seem to be around the board anymore. Unfortunately I'm super pressed for time at the moment, but would really like to get my x0x in full running order, which sadly its never been... is there anyone that would be willing to take a look? Here's the backstory...

I traded for a x0xb0x a [long] while back, and when I got the x0x it needed work (wouldn't go a full octave, maybe a m6 or M6 if I remember). Going through the tuning process I was never able to get it tuned. I also remember tracing supply voltages which seemed to be o.k. at the time.

One afternoon I opened it back up and spent some time investigating-- adding resistors in parallel at R106 and R118 got me my octave but my tune knob on the front became SUPER SENSITIVE. Moving it a little bit causes a big jump in frequency so its hard to keep tuned. Around the same time I started my PhD, the thing got put away and has since been largely unused.

I'd really like to start using the x0x, and want to fix the problem once and for all. Unfortunately, I'm pressed for time and am working on a number of other projects. My off time I'd like to really just make music, so I thought I'd see if anyone here would be willing to work on it.

Let me know! Thanks and all best-

antto

Re: x0xb0x repair US?

Post by antto »

There's this Tuning vst plugin that i made (for windows) see my signature, there's a video demo of how to tune it (very easy)
i'm thinking... it's possible that the x0x didn't had any issue but you just did the callibration the hard way and thus it's very frustrating
if it's not too hard for you, undo the mod you did and try re-tuning with this vst

other than that, x0xsource are located in the US somewhere, i don't know if they do repairs
hope this helps

jhochenbaum

Post by jhochenbaum »

Thanks Antto, will definitely check out your plug. I may take the two resistors off and have a go again, but I remember the problem being that no matter what, adjusting TM5 couldn't get the width past a minor or major 6th. So from C to C I would get a minor or Major 6th, and then a non-tuned split across the keys in between. The trim pots themselves were pretty stripped, although they definitely adjusted with a flat-head (and some effort) so I didn't think they were the culprit. Perhaps I should take the extra resistors off, and try to track down the real problem...

Out of curiosity, how far down or up should the tune knob change pitch. From 12 o click, I can go down/up a couple octaves by turning fully counter-clockwise, or fully clockwise.

Cheers for the help

antto

Post by antto »

hm.. +/- two octaves?!
normally it's around +/- 7 semitones
do check the trimpots and TUNE pot for correct values, as well as their neighbouring resistors

jhochenbaum

Post by jhochenbaum »

yeaah, thats what I was thinking! I think the crazy octave range on the tune-knob is due to the extra resistors i added [to r106 and r118] to get the tuning width split correctly.

I think Ill have to remove those and find the actual culprit... any pointers on how to best attack the issue? thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”