VCA Decay (r123) mystery...help troubleshoot?

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stinki

VCA Decay (r123) mystery...help troubleshoot?

Post by stinki »

hi, maybe somebody can help me troubleshoot. I've built a xox and have added a bunch of mods, all on knobs and switches etc:

pwm, res boost/adjust, bass boost, increased low filter lowend, envelope range x2, note on forever (12v to d35 & d36), fmod vco & fmod vca, variable vca decay..

i had everything working great for a while, aside from some minor thing or another coming loose every few weeks. i wanted it to be reliable, so i undid all the mods, and re-did them more neatly and securely. i also added 2 more mods...variable accent decay, and overdrive.

somehow, somethings gone strange.

everything works great and sounds fine now, except for 2 things..

1 variable vca decay - tried both a 1m linear and log pot, with resistors of 1m down to 10k. Using slow tempo, checked and rechecked connections..No effect on the sound. But there seems to be a normal decay even with r123 completely removed. r123 has no effect at all. wha? how should i retrace my steps to figure out where something went wrong...to me this is one of the most important mods, i'm desperate to get it working again.

2 variable accent decay - the directions for this leave a little to be desired. which pin exactly is pin 4 of ic11? the middle pin on the side of the chip nearest the edge of the board? middle & 1 leg of the pot should both go to the anode of d28? i did this, but it had a different effect than it's supposed to i'm sure...perhaps related to my r123 problem??

really appreciate any tips, thanks

isak

Re: VCA Decay (r123) mystery...help troubleshoot?

Post by isak »

Hi there

I did the vca decay with 1M pot and 5k resistor this way it work the best for me.
I can't help with the accent decay tho, sorry.

Cheers,
Isak E.

antto

Re: VCA Decay (r123) mystery...help troubleshoot?

Post by antto »

looking at my code it looks like C36 is making the additional bump on the VCA during an accent
iirc this (RC-Decay) envelope is added to the vca and so it works even if the main Volume envelope is down

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”