Germanium Diodes in TB303

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dozibal

Germanium Diodes in TB303

Post by dozibal »

In the TB303 manual some Germanium diodes are mentioned. I wonder why they were replaced by 1n4148 diodes in the Xoxbox though they are different electrical behaviour?

antto

Re: Germanium Diodes in TB303

Post by antto »

no idea, but you got me interested..
which places they are in?

mmm

Post by mmm »

The service manual mentions a 1S-188FM Ge Diode however I've been so far unable to find it in the schematics.

The "standard" diode used was AFAIK the 1S2473.

dozibal

Post by dozibal »

The diodes are not visible in the schematics, that is true. Anybody with a TB303 here? If they are in the PSU section we don't need them otherwise we do.

veracohr

Post by veracohr »

Germanium semiconductors aren't very common anymore, and in the case of the 1N4148 diodes in the x0x power supply, it doesn't matter. The main difference between germanium and silicon diodes are the forward voltage drop, being about 200-300mV for germanium and 600-700mV for silicon low-current diodes.

The diodes in the x0x PSU are providing a stable voltage that is adjustable via TM6. There are two in series, then a potentiometer (TM6) in series, then another two diodes in series. Basically, TM6 is sitting at a relatively unchanging voltage determined by the voltage drops of the diodes, and the position of the pot wiper is connected to the adjust pin of an adjustable voltage reference (IC22). As far as those diodes are concerned, all that is important is to have a stable voltage, which can be accomplished with any choice of diodes. This subcircuit provides the 5.333V supply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”