Problem with tuning

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kom

Problem with tuning

Post by kom »

Hello,

I have the impresson, that my Xoxbox has a problem with keeping the tune. When a note is played until it fades out, it sounds like it is out of tune. I have attached an MP3 file and I would be very happy if someone could listen to it and compare it with his xoxbox.

Thanks
kom
xoxbox tuning problem kom.zip
(419 KiB) Downloaded 729 times

antto

Re: Problem with tuning

Post by antto »

sounds normal

note that the Filter can make the notes sounds like detuning downwards in some conditions
given that the cutoff is controlled by a decaying envelope, when the EnvMod is high, the filter is open (at a high cutoff frequency)
and as the cutoff goes down (especially when the decay time is short) the signal becomes "shifted" in time due to the phase response rapidly changing with the cutoff frequency (at low cutoffs there's more phase delay) so it sounds like the note pitch goes down during the decay
this is somehow similar to the doppler effect

kom

Re: Problem with tuning

Post by kom »

Hi antto,

thanks for your quick response and your detailed explanation.

I just recorded another example, cut off freq left, resonance middle, env.mod right, decay left, which shows the effect you described.
xoxbox tuning problem 2 kom.zip
(265.62 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
First I thought that there would have been a problem with the subatomic mods I implemented, so I am very happy with your explanation.

Thanks again
kom

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”