Corrupt firmware if loaded over USB

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
johey

Corrupt firmware if loaded over USB

Post by johey »

I've just finished my x0xbuild. The CPU had no bootloader, so I had to flash it using an external programmer. After that, the system works, but if I load a new firmware over USB, the b0x is almost as dead as without firmware.

Right now my machine is in this state: There is a bootloader, as I can load new firmware using c0ntr0l. If turned on in another mode, none, all or some leds lit and there can be a repetitive sound. None of the digital controllers have any effect. Uploading a new firmware doesn't help. I guess I will have to use the external programmer again.

Why can this be? I'm using c0ntr0l in GNU/Linux. It first says "Uploading firmware..." and after about 12 seconds "Firmware uploading complete.". It looks so good but it is so bad.

antto

Re: Corrupt firmware if loaded over USB

Post by antto »

thing is.. in my experience with c0ntr0l (under windowsXP) c0ntr0l doesn't touch the serial port settings, it just opens the port "as-is" which means that you gotta play with the device settings to adjust the baudrate/parity/databits/stopbits/etc yourself first
if that's not enough, c0ntr0l doesn't quite give any kind of error messages or status of what's going on, which doesn't help
no idea if it's different on linux

perhaps make sure that the virtual-com-port device has the "right" settings (no idea where that is on linux) and try again

or you can try BANNED, which is available for windows/osx
BANNED sets all port settings each time it opens the port, and gives a bit more info of what's going on

johey

Post by johey »

Thanks for the reply!

Here is an update. I borrowed a Windows XP machine and tried c0ntr0l there. After updating the firmware that way, it actually works! Here is the interesting thing thoug. In Windows, when trying to connect to the x0xb0x (not upload firmware) it says it cannot find the x0xb0x. In GNU/Linux, I can connect to the x0xb0x without any problems. From both Windows and GNU/Linux, I can upload firmware, but when doing so from GNU/Linux the firmware gets corrupted.

I'll update here if I find out more about it. I want everything to be doable from GNU/Linux as that is my platform of choice.

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

You'll be happy with your x0xlarge then:
amidi -p hw:0 n0nx0x2.syx

:D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”