86 lives! (in a persistent vegetative state)

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
subatomic

Post by subatomic »

Altitude wrote:get a commercial flux remover formulated for whatever solder you are using. Cleaning up flux is not really an option, you kinda have to do it
The way I understand it "noclean" solder doesn't need to be cleaned off. I've never tried it though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought this kind of solder, it seemed to match the kind recommended by ladyada.

They claim "Residues are noncorrosive and non-conductive if left uncleaned.".
Can I trust that?

ceedub

Post by ceedub »

Is yours working?

I've been slow to get a flux remover so my whole project has stalled. Can you believe Radio Shack doesn't sell flux remover?

altitude

Post by altitude »

Um, I guess that holds true EXCEPT for when using no clean :P

I have never used that stuff so I can't really say what the drawbacks are.

I used the 60/40 rosin Kester and cleaned the whole board with techspray and had no problems with cold solder joints or flux bridges. Does the no clean work well?

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

Altitude wrote: I used the 60/40 rosin Kester and cleaned the whole board with techspray and had no problems with cold solder joints or flux bridges. Does the no clean work well?
Does it have to be cleaned? My 60/40 says it is non-conductive. I've never had problems, but I haven't done a large and sensative project like this before either...
Last edited by subatomic on Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altitude

Post by altitude »

Oh yeah.

60/40 is just the mix which does not really say anything about the flux material so the stuff I use has the normal rosin core that needs to be cleaned with a solvent. The organic stuff can be cleaned off with methanol but the commercial flux cleaners will make a mess of it.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

Altitude wrote:60/40 is just the mix which does not really say anything about the flux material so the stuff I use has the normal rosin core that needs to be cleaned with a solvent. The organic stuff can be cleaned off with methanol but the commercial flux cleaners will make a mess of it.
Ok, so my kester 60/40 probably has a type of rosin core that is safe to leave on the circuit board, since it is "not conductive"... if anyone's experience differs, let me know please.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

ceedub wrote:I've been slow to get a flux remover so my whole project has stalled. Can you believe Radio Shack doesn't sell flux remover?
many things about the shack amaze me.

so did you ever sort out your issue? what was the problem?

ceedub

Post by ceedub »

No-

But I have a suspicion that this weekend will be the one in which sh1t gets fixed.

I've been too busy producing, and my Revolution is always handy so the drive to get the x0xb0x has been limp.

Post by Guest »

ceedub wrote: I've been slow to get a flux remover so my whole project has stalled. Can you believe Radio Shack doesn't sell flux remover?
Save yourself a lot of trouble. DON'T use a flux remover (at first) - you'll just end up spreading flux all over the board. Been there done that, no thanks.

You can easily chip off excess flux using a non metallic scraper such that it can't scrape through the board laquer (something like a wooden lolly stick or plastic guitar plectrum, shaped if needed). Wait a little while after soldering so that the flux sets hard, it will then flake away with a little sideways pressure. You can remove 95% of the flux this way, then use flux remover if you want it absolutely spotless - not necessary in my opinion.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”