Problems with the firmware <- Solved

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ivo francx

Problems with the firmware <- Solved

Post by ivo francx »

Hey,
So. I built the x0x, tested it, repaired it etc.. now it's working! (yay)
Though I have to say the firmware that's on the x0x right now kills all the fun.
So I wanted to bring it up to date.
Sadly, all I could find were various threads in this forum with diffuse information, manuals and tutorials containing nothing but dead links and one outdated firmware version after the other...
So, now to my first problem: Why won't my computer (win7 x64) recognize the x0x when starting in bootloader mode?
On the ladyada site it says that you need to "install the USB Driver" (which is a 404 link), and then refers to the "fabrication manual" (which is a link to the assembly manual of the I/O board). (-> http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/manual/bootloading/)
So which usb driver? Where can I get it?
I've tried installing various FTDI drivers, but it alway just said that all drivers are up to date...
Can anyone help me find any (good!) explanation on how to update the firmware?
Last edited by ivo francx on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antto

Re: Problems with the firmware

Post by antto »

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Virtual Com Port (VCP) drivers
the USB on the x0x is actually a serial port
the driver creates a virtual serial port on the computer, and then the x0x app communicates with that port, and not with the actual USB itself

there are a few firmwares i know of.. obviously sokkos2, marOS, and i think "omskOS"
most of them are in the x0xmodz section
there is also my firmware but it doesn't run on the original x0x cpu, requires a cpu upgrade and a new front panel

ivo francx

Post by ivo francx »

Thanks for the reply!
What you posted is the usb driver that I already installed. My computer still won't recognize the x0x.
I also tested it with another computer (also win7 x64). Same thing there.
The computer can detect a device, but it says "Unknown Device", and furthermore "error code 43". So it might be possible that something in the x0x doesn't work.
The microcontroller in the x0x says it's preprogrammed with the x0x OS 1.05., so it should have a bootloader on it, right?
Could there be a problem with the FT232 chip?
Is there something I can try to troubleshoot the x0x?

antto

Post by antto »

the drivers are actually two (in that same package "VCP")
when you plug the x0x - it should first detect a new USB device and ask for a driver for it, you said you already have that one
once the USB driver is installed, it will create a virtual serial device, which also needs a driver
so, make sure you've installed this driver too (it should be from the same package)
then, in the device manager, under "Ports (COM & LTP)" you should be able to see it "USB Serial Port (COM6)" for example

so.. try to install this second driver again, or if you can't for some reason - uninstall the USB driver and go thru the whole driver installing procedure again

ivo francx

Post by ivo francx »

It seems that i've installed a 10k resistor for R6 instead of the 27ohms that the build manual demands. Could this be the problem? Or is this particular value not critical?
This might be the reason why windows keeps telling me that the USB device is broken...

mmm

Post by mmm »

R6 is directly in the USB circuitry. Keep in mind: 10k to 27 ohms is a relation of 370 to 1; your installed resistor has 370 times the resistance than specified. There is a pretty good chance that this could cause problems.

ivo francx

Post by ivo francx »

I've replaced R6 with a 27 ohm resistor and now it works!
Thanks for the support!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”