Little questions on final steps [SOLVED]

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jaabaa

Little questions on final steps [SOLVED]

Post by jaabaa »

Hello,
I'm on the last pages on the making manual ;)

1) What to do with the plastic parts of the LED ("LED standoff") ? Should I put the LED standoff on the PCB, and then the LED ? I don't really understand how I should do it. LED standoff's little holes up or down ? Would you have a photo of this ? I cannot see it on http://static.flickr.com/153/388602543_3cee251204.jpg.

2) What kind of bare wire should I use for holding the rotary switches ? http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/fab/ ... hstrap.jpg
My wire seems to be a bit too "elastic" to be able to hold tight the switch. Can you explain what did you use ?

3) Is it normal that pin 3 and pin 4 of big connector J3 (on main PCB) are connected ?

Thanks in advance !
Last edited by jaabaa on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmm

Re: Little questions on final steps

Post by mmm »

jaabaa wrote:Hello,
I'm on the last pages on the making manual ;)

1) What to do with the plastic parts of the LED ("LED standoff") ? Should I put the LED standoff on the PCB, and then the LED ? I don't really understand how I should do it. LED standoff's little holes up or down ? Would you have a photo of this ? I cannot see it on http://static.flickr.com/153/388602543_3cee251204.jpg.
The function of the standoffs is mostly to get the LEDs on the same level and to prevent them from being pushed into the enclosure. I've seen different types used and hence it's difficult to say how this should be handled. But in general I'd say if the result is reliable it doesn't matter much.
2) What kind of bare wire should I use for holding the rotary switches ? http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/fab/ ... hstrap.jpg
My wire seems to be a bit too "elastic" to be able to hold tight the switch. Can you explain what did you use ?
I have no idea about this; somebody else needs to answer this.
3) Is it normal that pin 3 and pin 4 of big connector J3 (on main PCB) are connected ?
Yes, it's normal - and pins 7 and 8 are also connected to each other. Those pin pairs carry +5V and ground and the doubling is probably there to guarantee a reliable power connection (though the redundancy is probably not needed at all).

jaabaa

Post by jaabaa »

Thanks for your answer.

In the meantime, I have now successfully mounted the LEDs with the LED-standoffs, and yes it seems that it makes no difference to put it upside-down (LED-standoffs).

About the wire that "staples" the rotary switch, I have no idea about what kind of wire I should use :(

* Iron wire (used for home improvement) : Image
Can this be soldered with standard solder wire (60/40) ?
I'm not sure about this

* Copper wire ? Image
?

antto

Post by antto »

about the rotary selector:
i used the kind of bendable wire which often is used to tie cables together (it's very common)
i removed the plastic part and used 1 piece only to strap the selectors

this is an illustration i did, it's top-view
i did it like on the left-side, but afterwards figured out that it would have been much better if i did it like on the right-side

jaabaa

Post by jaabaa »

Problem solved : I used standard wire like this : Image
= 3 wires x 1,5 mm^2 , and I only used 1 wire among the 3

jaabaa

Re: Little questions on final steps [SOLVED]

Post by jaabaa »

x0xb0x finished and Workingggggggggggggg :)
:)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”