is my decay working correctly?

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pich

is my decay working correctly?

Post by pich »

Hi everyone, I've just finished my xoxbox and I am so pleased with it and really enjoyed building it, all seems to be working fine but I've been worried ever since I soldered the decay potentiometer in because I accidentally bridged the two end pins :-(, I cleaned up the mess and unbridged them but was always worried they might be all connected,
Right the decay knob works but im not sure how much its supposed to do because it's as effective as the other knobs, does anyone have any voltage readings I can compare mine with? Or any tests that I could do?
Id greatly appreciate any help

antto

Re: is my decay working correctly?

Post by antto »

hm..
you could try this: set the decay knob to max, and (with the x0xb0x switched off) measure resistance between its legs
now, "which legs?" you might ask
can't check right now, but 3 of the legs are not used, thus they are all connected to ground (it's not supposed to be a dual pot really, but that's what they had then so they used this part)
the other 3 legs are used, two of them are shorted together
so, try to figure those 3 legs out, and measure the resistance between the two (shorted) legs and the 3rd leg
also, check resistance from those two points (sepparately) towards ground
since you suspect that you might have shorted some legs - then there are great chances that the 3 pins which are actually used are connected to ground (and they shouldn't normally be)

pich

Re: is my decay working correctly?

Post by pich »

Nice thanks for your advice my friend I appreciate that, ill do that check as soon as a can, I've only part assembled it to have a jam with it so I need to take it apart and tidy a few things up and ill do this test then :-), as it was my first big build I did makea mess of some of the solder pads from desoldering but this was the leds and the seem to with ok, I already want to make another but I need to complete this one first and theni could try a few mods lol.
Thanks again
Oh what should the resistance be?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”