x0x is working, but doesn't sound like acid

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
k-rite

x0x is working, but doesn't sound like acid

Post by k-rite »

we'll my x0x is actually working now, but it sounds like BANNED. i recorded a little sample in random mode. two (maybe three) of my potentiometers are beat up and need to be replaced. but besides replacing those can someone listen to this sample and tell me where to look next.

Sample 01

subatomic

Re: x0x is working, but doesn't sound like acid

Post by subatomic »

k-rite wrote:we'll my x0x is actually working now, but it sounds like BANNED. i recorded a little sample in random mode. two (maybe three) of my potentiometers are beat up and need to be replaced. but besides replacing those can someone listen to this sample and tell me where to look next.

Sample 01
it sounds like your tempo is super fast. what's it sound like when you just play notes? (i.e. not random mode).

k-rite

Re: x0x is working, but doesn't sound like acid

Post by k-rite »

subatomic wrote: it sounds like your tempo is super fast. what's it sound like when you just play notes? (i.e. not random mode).
yeah the tempo potentiometer needs to be replaced. when i play notes it sounds like my x0xb0x is farting. :? :oops:

Sample 02

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

switch it to the square wave, turn down the cutoff to 25% and turn the resonance to 100% and post another sample....

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

it sort of sounds good except that the envelope (attack/decay) doesn't seem to be there... that and maybe the pitch needs tuning.

k-rite

Post by k-rite »

evilxsystems wrote:switch it to the square wave, turn down the cutoff to 25% and turn the resonance to 100% and post another sample....
o.k. Sample 03

i also have the volume all the way up and the gain on my recording mixer is all the way up. the x0x should be louder, huh?

kokoon

Post by kokoon »

sounds like the problems are:
1. turbo tempo speed :)
2. VCA envelope malfunction
3. tuning really whacked
4. resonance not working?

k-rite

Post by k-rite »

kokoon wrote:sounds like the problems are:
1. turbo tempo speed :)
2. VCA envelope malfunction
3. tuning really whacked
4. resonance not working?
when i first built the kit i had some pots in the wrong sections, so i had to switch them around. i damaged some of them. i just ordered replacement ones from digikey, so hopefully the new ones will fix the tempo and envelope section. the resonance works when the pot is above 50% and the cutoff is also above 50%. i'll go ahead a post some more samples if i'm still having troubles after the pot replacement. when i have the resonance and envelope all the way up and mess with the cutoff i can hear a little acid squelch. there is hope! ;0)

dj daniel

Post by dj daniel »

The TAP tempo-function on "done" button should work, then I would check those two jumper-wires near the Tempo knob (J1, j2).
Check the tuning, there's plenty of guitar tuning software around.

k-rite

Post by k-rite »

i replaced some of the pots and the tempo is ok now. but it still sounds like only 80% acid. i'm gonna do some more troubleshooting. at least it's working now. :)

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

make sure you tune the VCF trim pot as described in the build manual

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”