It just stopped working.

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hamburgers

It just stopped working.

Post by hamburgers »

One day it works, the next I just get noise with very little volume.

Any ideas before I open it up again? :shock:

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

OK now it works again.

Thar be voodoo in this box.

altitude

Post by altitude »

mine did something like that too. I thing the grey bus cables may be to blame

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

Gah, OK it works now but there is a strange filter "wobble."

I'll post an MP3 in a minute or two...

Could the jumper cables do this? There is a tear in the coating on one of the cables, but I wouldn't think that would impact the sound like this?

edit: OK, first file on this page http://rxb.dmusic.com/ (don't worry you don't have to register or anything!)

There is an older demo a few songs down that demonstrates the difference in sound. Maybe I have unlocked the x0x vibrato mod... :(

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

It doesn't seem to wobble in keyboard mode. Maybe it's a problem in the sequencer section?

sigh

edit: no wobble in midi play either.

post edit edit: can't notice the wooble at 80 bpm or less

:P driving me crazy!!!

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

Altitude wrote:mine did something like that too. I thing the grey bus cables may be to blame
They're pretty fragile. If you've opened up your x0xb0x a couple times after finishing the build, doing mods or what have you, it's certainly plausible that you've stressed them...

I replaced all of mine with my own flown wires, most of which have connectors in the middle for easy detatching while re-working bits and pieces.

So far I've only done the EG-depth and detente tune knob mods, plus swapped in a 662. I'll probably do the bass boost too, though, after having a devilfish in the house... that's really the only modified bit there that I found compelling.

altitude

Post by altitude »

Brandon,
can you post a link to the replacements? I am considering replacing mine also since I may need more length for the new case I'm working on

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

No thoughts on the wobble then?

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

Altitude wrote:Brandon,
can you post a link to the replacements? I am considering replacing mine also since I may need more length for the new case I'm working on
Err, not really, I just snagged some wire and 3pin connectors (any will do, I used the kind you usually find on PC fans) at the local electronics store. For the bigger ribbons I used db25 (serial) connectors. I soldered the wires to the boards, and the connectors at the end of the wires, so they meet in the middle, that way I wouldn't have to find connectors to match the footprint of the boards. You can shrinkwrap or electrical tape wire bundles to keep them together, though I just left them messy.

It's more "busy work" than rocket science, what with cutting all that cable to length and attaching the connectors ;0)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”