x0x #222 problems already (bad capacitor?)

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cheesy

x0x #222 problems already (bad capacitor?)

Post by cheesy »

I noticed when I was testing the voltage across C5 that the top of the capacitor was slightly popped out compared to C3. Later while I was soldering something else it started hissing and electrolyte oozed out...did I have a bad capacitor or what? I took it off to prevent further damage...but now what?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

did you solder it in backwards?
was the voltage across it exceptionally high?

cheesy

Post by cheesy »

It was definitely soldered in the right way, I have a photo if you'd like to check. The voltage was actually a little low (about 12.5VDC compared to C3 which was about 13VDC) and it appeared not to hold any charge after it was disconnected from the power brick (not sure if that's normal)

Another thing I wanted to ask about was the instructions say the voltage across the jack terminals should be about 12VAC, but the power brick is only 9VDC (actually 9.9VDC when I measured it) so I get about 9.5VAC across the terminals. Is this correct or am I missing something?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the power brick should be 9VAC, why is it 9VDC? are you not using the one that comes with the kit?

cheesy

Post by cheesy »

Yeah I meant 9VAC, my brain thinks one thing but my fingers type something else. :oops:

Anyway, will any standard 2200 uF 16V electrolytic capacitor work?

I also managed to break a pin off the 7505 voltage regulator will a standard 7505 voltage regulator work?

Thanks.

Post by guest »

yes
any 7805 and 2200uF 16v capacitor will work

cheesy

Post by cheesy »

Thanks. I assume this is true of most non-"rare" components as long as they have the same values? (mainly resistors, capacitors, the digital ICs, etc)...not that I plan on breaking any more components, I just got off to a rough start :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”