Any mods to raise pitch range by another octave?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ripe909

Any mods to raise pitch range by another octave?

Post by ripe909 »

Is there any mod to raise the x0xb0x pitch range? I usually have to transpose up and also tweak the tuning as high as it will go for my sequences, and I still hit the top of the range.

I would be willing to lose an octave on the lower end, if I could get more at the top, of course if pitch tracking stability is lost at the high end, then that wouldn't be good... :)

cheers
ripe

bcbox

Re: Any mods to raise pitch range by another octave?

Post by bcbox »

John, there's a few things you can do.

1. Decrease the value of R118 for more tuning range. Change it to 47k should give you more than an ocatve each way.
2. Change the VCO timing cap C33 to half the value. This will double the frequency of the waveform generation, so the entire keyboard scale is shifted up one octave.

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

Awesome, I was hoping it would be something nice and simple like that! I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

cheers
ripe

phono

Post by phono »

bcbox wrote:John, there's a few things you can do.

1. Decrease the value of R119 for more tuning range. Change it to 47k should give you more than an ocatve each way.
2. Change the VCO timing cap C33 to half the value. This will double the frequency of the waveform generation, so the entire keyboard scale is shifted up one octave.
does that mean that if i increased the value of R119 id get a more fine tune, its an absolute nightmare when trying to tune it in mid set with a guitar tuner at a gig 8)

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

does that mean that if i increased the value of R118 id get a more fine tune, its an absolute nightmare when trying to tune it in mid set with a guitar tuner at a gig
absolutely. There's a few things you could do.

1. If you don't need the +/-700 cents tune range you can simply increase R118 to 470k or 1M for really fine tune.
2. You can add a second pot coming off the connection of Q26/R100 just like the Tune pot but use a higher resistor value instead. 1M ohm would work well. This would be the fine tune control. The pot legs would go to 5.33V and GND just like the tune pot. So you would have the regular tune and fine tune.

[edit: it's R118 not R119 as I wrote earlier]
Last edited by bcbox on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phono

Post by phono »

bcbox wrote:
does that mean that if i increased the value of R118 id get a more fine tune, its an absolute nightmare when trying to tune it in mid set with a guitar tuner at a gig
absolutely. There's a few things you could do.

1. If you don't need the +/-700 cents tune range you can simply increase R119 to 470k or 1M for really fine tune.
2. You can add a second pot coming off the conection of Q26/R100 just like the Tune pot but use a higher resistor value instead. 1M ohm would work well. This would be the fine tune control. The pot legs would go to 5.33V and GND just like the tune pot. So you would have the regular tune and fine tune.
awesome, thanks Brian

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

Thanks for the help on this, I replaced C33 and the pitch is now in my range :)

awesome!

cheers
ripe

stevenclements

Post by stevenclements »

It might be really nice to mod it to have WIDE range tuning... and fine tuning, two pots/circuits on a switch.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

It might be really nice to mod it to have WIDE range tuning... and fine tuning, two pots/circuits on a switch.
you can do that. no switch required. just change R118 to 47k and then add a second pot as described above but instead of having the wiper go to a 47k resistor use a 1M or 2.2M resistor instead for fine tuning. I'll upload a pic later when I have acces to my ftp.

stevenclements

Post by stevenclements »

bcbox wrote:
you can do that. no switch required. just change R118 to 47k and then add a second pot as described above but instead of having the wiper go to a 47k resistor use a 1M or 2.2M resistor instead for fine tuning. I'll upload a pic later when I have acces to my ftp.

Fantastic, thanks Brian, that is functionally much more effective and musically more useful - Cheers!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”