New x0xb0x Control Panel (my design)

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
october71

New x0xb0x Control Panel (my design)

Post by october71 »

Hi all, I'm reposting this from another forum. This is my new x0xb0x control panel. You'll have to forgive the relatively poor quality of the photos; I have two digital cameras, and neither one of them is good, and it's pretty impossible to get focused closeups (no zoom). I really need to get a better camera. :?

More photos here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... id=1886162

And this is a jpeg of the control panel, designed in Illustrator:

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL185/188 ... 134896.jpg

The finish of the panel is brushed aluminum, clearcoated. I used this product called "Lazertran". You can check out Lazertran products here:

http://www.lazertran.com/index.htm

I'm done modding this thing for now, although I do want to make a nice metal case for it eventually.

moogah

Post by moogah »

Holy BANNED that looks good! Some of you have come up with some really nice designs!

Can you elaborate on the Lazertran process? I've been toying with the idea of doing panels with it, but I'd like to hear some peoples opinion of how well the process works (I can see from the pics that the results are quite good!).

And where did you get those knobs? They are sweet! Are they plastic?
Last edited by moogah on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

october71

Post by october71 »

moogah wrote:Holy BANNED that looks good! Some of you have come up with some really nice designs!

And where did you get those knobs? They are sweet!
Thanks! The small knobs are from Jameco, and the large knobs were given to me by a friend. You can find similar ones, though. Both knobs are aluminum.

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

w00t nice panel

october71

Post by october71 »

mome rath wrote:w00t nice panel
Thanks! 8)

c0nsumer

Post by c0nsumer »

I have to say, that's the only other panel design I've seen which I really like. Quite nice. :) It fits with the style of the whole device, and doesn't seem overly cluttered.

Did you happen to use my Illustrator document as a template? That keyboard looks really familiar...

october71

Post by october71 »

c0nsumer wrote:Did you happen to use my Illustrator document as a template? That keyboard looks really familiar...
Thanks! Yes, I used that illustrator file, but the only things I kept were the hole locators and the little hash marks around the knobs (although I think I modified those too). The keyboard was based on yours, but I changed a few things on it as well.

c0nsumer

Post by c0nsumer »

october71 wrote:Thanks! Yes, I used that illustrator file, but the only things I kept were the hole locators and the little hash marks around the knobs (although I think I modified those too). The keyboard was based on yours, but I changed a few things on it as well.
Ah, nice. :) I'm glad to hear it's getting some use... Looks like a nice transfer you used. What sort of clearcoat did you use? My problem in the past was that a lot of 'clear coat' materials actually have a slight amber cast when they are applied thickly. I ran into this when finishing the 6061 slab / stand for my G5. (This project also proved that one can [url=http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/v/computers ... g.htmlheat treat some metals in a home oven[/url].)

I wonder how well a pour-over epoxy finish would work...

Although, it'd also be possible to have a place like Front Panel Express make an etched panel like that, too... Hmm...

stevenclements

Post by stevenclements »

cool looking!!!

october71

Post by october71 »

c0nsumer wrote:Ah, nice. :) I'm glad to hear it's getting some use...
Yes, it saved me quite a bit of time from having to deal with the cad file.
Looks like a nice transfer you used. What sort of clearcoat did you use?

Krylon, both satin finish and matte. I decided to topcoat it with the matte because the satin was just a tad too shiny for me. It did make the metal look really nice though.
I wonder how well a pour-over epoxy finish would work...
It should work fine, I don't know how clear/neutral that stuff is though because I've never used it.
Although, it'd also be possible to have a place like Front Panel Express make an etched panel like that, too... Hmm...
Well, I can tell you this...since I've discovered Lazertran, I don't think I'll be using anything else to make panels anytime soon. The results are way better than I expected, and it's pretty inexpensive. I can use as many colors as I want, and it looks like I printed directly onto the metal itself. I wish I had better photos :(

october71

Post by october71 »

stevenclements wrote:cool looking!!!
Thank you! :D

october71

Post by october71 »

moogah wrote:Can you elaborate on the Lazertran process? I've been toying with the idea of doing panels with it, but I'd like to hear some peoples opinion of how well the process works (I can see from the pics that the results are quite good!).
It's very easy to use. The instructions are on the website. I don't really have much to add, other than you will want to do at least a couple of test prints to get the print setting correct. You can then use one of those scraps to get a feel for how it works. It's not as fragile as you might think...it's actually rather tough. You can use a squeegee on it to work out air bubbles. It's translucent when wet, then it dries white. But, when you clearcoat it, it turns completely clear. I used Krylon's clear coat, with good results. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to make their own panels.

pempelson

Post by pempelson »

wonderful work !
compliments to you - it looks great !

you earned to be mentioned in the x0x hall of fame !! :wink:

greetings, guido

october71

Post by october71 »

pempelson wrote:wonderful work !
compliments to you - it looks great !

you earned to be mentioned in the x0x hall of fame !! :wink:
Thank you!

profête

Re: New x0xb0x Control Panel (my design)

Post by profête »

hello

do you know where i can get a illustrator file of the x0xb0x please ?

thank!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”