mac os x: parallels and x0xb0x control problem

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Matrix12x

Re: mac os x: parallels and x0xb0x control problem

Post by Matrix12x »

Yeah, I had installed that driver. I then checked it on a PC laptop running win XP.
No new port detected.

Found the following serial ports: ['/dev/cu.-BluetoothSerialPort-1', '/dev/cu.Johncellphone-NokiaPCSu-1', '/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem', '/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync']

but not the serial port on the x0xb0x

I think there is an issue with my pre-soldered USB chip. is it possible to buy just this chip from Mouser or Digikey?

Luap

Post by Luap »

The pre-soldered usb chips are tested, so it should be ok.. But yes, you can buy them on their own of course. The details are on the BOM.
Rather you than me to try and unsolder, then resolder one of those tho! :shock:
I consider myself pretty good at soldering, and i've even had surface mount training. But I prefer not to go near that stuff, given the choice!
Good luck..

frak

Post by frak »

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but the link for the Mac Intel driver is a 404 - does anyone have this file they can share?

antto

Post by antto »

frak

Post by frak »

I see, I wasn't sure if it was the VCP or D2XX version - thanks

frak

Post by frak »

w00t!

My x0xb0x arrived today and it sounds amazing - very happy. Now the only problem I have is that the link to c0ntr0l for Mac is also dead, and the windows version seems to have been compiled - does anyone have a version of this that can share?

antto

Post by antto »

c0ntr0l hasn't been changed/improved since years, and it doesn't look like anyone will change it
i don't think people had luck with it on OSX at all, plus, i've had trouble with it on windows (extracting the eeprom always worked halfway)

since c0ntr0l was unusable for me (even tho i'm on windows and can at least launch it) - i coded my own app - BANNED
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29282

it has all of the functionality you'd expect from c0ntr0l, and some new things
it works on windows/osx/linux

frak

Post by frak »

antto wrote:c0ntr0l hasn't been changed/improved since years, and it doesn't look like anyone will change it
i don't think people had luck with it on OSX at all, plus, i've had trouble with it on windows (extracting the eeprom always worked halfway)

since c0ntr0l was unusable for me (even tho i'm on windows and can at least launch it) - i coded my own app - BANNED
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29282

it has all of the functionality you'd expect from c0ntr0l, and some new things
it works on windows/osx/linux
I wish I had seen your reply a bit earlier - I have just updated c0ntr0l so that it will run with Python 2.7. I can't test it for windows as I don't own a PC, but the fixes should hold true. My updated version of the code can be found here: https://github.com/frak/c0ntr0l.

I will obviously take a look at your software now, as the play pattern button in c0ntr0l doesn't seem to work, and my knowledge of Python is limited to finding errors and fixing them, lol

antto

Post by antto »

it's not that the "play" button in c0ntr0l is broken, no
it's actually that the x0xb0x firmware never got to implement these features

there are quite a number of messages defined in c0ntr0l and the stock firmware, but most of them haven't been implemented
i've listed them in a table on this page: http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/BANNED/dev.html
messages 1 to 128, those are all which i found by looking at c0ntr0l and the firmware, and in dark gray i've marked those which are only defined but not implemented
and there you can see MSG_PATT_PLAY

i guess they had the idea to make it possible to "control" the x0xb0x via the c0ntr0l app, when you set the x0xb0x to the "Computer Control" mode and then you'd be able to play/stop and select patterns from c0ntr0l
but, this never happened
compcontrol.h in the firmware is pretty much empty, and the firmware was already quite big, so this kind of functionality wouldn't have fit the capacity of the small cpu i guess
and tbh it wouldn't have been a spectacular feature anyway

so at the end, c0ntr0l only really does two things:
1) eeprom import/export (to back-up your patterns)
2) flash firmware (to change the FW)

and even those two things are kinda unreliable sometimes
when something wrong happens - you don't really get a reasonable error message..
plus, c0ntr0l doesn't seem to configure the serial port conditions, thus you have to configure the driver manually

antto

Post by antto »

oh, and to be clear: BANNED doesn't have a "play" button at all
but i've added some extra messages to the protocol (which will only work if they are implemented in a firmware) like requesting the firmware name and version, recognizing the pattern format, etc.. (you can see them there in that same table)

frak

Post by frak »

I'll be honest, I found your software much nicer to use anyway, and the play button doesn't seem so important as to go through all of that work. Thank you for the list of commands, you have clearly put a lot of work into understanding the x0xb0x, and I thank you for the time you have taken explaining things to me.

antto

Post by antto »

no problem ;]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”