x0xi0 Full mod kit - 2nd Run waiting list & Details

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bcbox

Re: x0xi0 Full mod kit - 2nd Run waiting list & Details

Post by bcbox »

...parts are coming in. The pcb's will arrive in a couple weeks. The top panels arrived today, they get sent out for silkscreen on Monday. I loosened up the tolerances for the holes for the top panel a bit since some people found room a little tight when fitting it over the pot shafts. I'll post more details and pics as it happens. I still have a lot of work to do updating the install instructions and finishing the test procedure guide as I still haven't finished those.

loneraver

Post by loneraver »

oOo!!!
Keep posting pictures like this. It gets me excited for my pending x0xb0x.

Also, how long would you say it should take to build one of these? I am going to have it built for me by a local professional and they charge by the hour.

indigenous

Post by indigenous »

Hi Brian,

I have emailed and PM'd you after paying via paypal but have had no response. I can only assume you are quite busy, but please can you confirm you have received my payment ok?

Kev

analographi

Post by analographi »

Hey this looks great! Didn't think something would be happening anymore. I see I'm still on the list, but I didn't get any payment instructions.. don't even know how much.
I'm still very interested. Just need instructions.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

The rear PCB's also came in. Also the top panels came back from silkscreening. They look great just like last time.

loneraver

Post by loneraver »

COOOOOOL!!!! Keep posting these pictures, Brian!

I'm still curious about what expected time to complete a project like this for an expert. I'm getting a professional instrument repair guy to build it for me because I've never soldered in my life but he charges per the half hour. Can you give me a ballpark estimate of how long it might take to assemble this?

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE AMAZING PICTURES!

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

Top PCB's came today.
Also, I don't think I mentioned yet but the rear panels for this run are black anodized and silkscreened just like the top panels. With the smaller run it was cheaper. I think most will consider this an upgrade, although the aluminum panel with overlay looks great also.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

most of the parts are in.
I still have to sort the kits and wait for the few remaining items.
I made a costly mistake with the rear panels. I made up a new drawing to send to a vendor and I didn't double check it and I made up 30 useless panels.. one hole off, cant be salvaged ;( It happens. Total shame because they were machined black anodized aluminum and I was going to have them silkscreened. Now I have to save face and use the remaining overlays and panels I already have made up.

Aside from that I've been catching up on pre-built x0xi0's for the few people that have prepaid for them. I've got kits all over the place. If you're one of the three remaining people waiting for your kit to ship I'm just about done. I think I'll have to take some pics of all these machines.

I made mention a few weeks back about bringing all the x0xi0 info & documentation online.
This is happening. I should be online with the x0xi0 website by the time the 2nd run kits are received. It looks great and easy to use.

loneraver

Post by loneraver »

bcbox wrote: Aside from that I've been catching up on pre-built x0xi0's for the few people that have prepaid for them.
Whoa! There are pre-built ones? How did one qualify for that?

netpusher

Post by netpusher »

Hi, I would like to be added to the list for the 2nd run if it's not too late.

Thanks!

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

Whoa! There are pre-built ones? How did one qualify for that?
I do build them sometimes for the right amount of money. It's very time consuming but obviously I get faster at it and I enjoy delivering 100% working units. The catch is that I usually can't give a date for delivery.
I'm trying to get these three units out the door so I can start packing 2nd run kits and working on the website and documentation, not to mention the new x0xb0x mainboard PCB. There's a lot going on behind the scenes these last few weeks and I think you will all be very happy.

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

Bummed i can't afford this =o/

bedoone

Post by bedoone »

Hi, I would like to be added to the list to for the 2nd run if it's not too late.

Thank you...

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

...pretty much all the parts are in and I've already spent some time packing kits.
The only part that is late is the Sifam knobs for the two rotary encoders. If they don't come in the next 10 days I'll simply ship the kits without them and send them separately by first class mail.

Ive been busy with the documentation, new mainboard, and website.
The mainboard is taking longer than I thought it would to layout. Below is a pic of the progress. If you're building a x0xb0x from scratch this custom mainboard is essential. It eliminates (30) wire connections, vastly simplifying the build. This is the result of my master plan, which was to align the pinheads/pads on the x0xi0 top PCB with the new custom mainboard. This way the connections are made with simple pinheads. It'll be more obvious in a couple weeks when the parts come in. In making a new mainboard I also wanted to achieve a few more things...
- I took about 18mm off the bottom of the PCB so that it will fit in a custom case much better without a large bare space on the bottom (a custom enclosure looks kind of funny with all the unused space on bottom)
- I situated the VCO to the left a little so that it is right below VCO2 (and farthest away from power supply) so that they make track even better with temperature.
- I added an SPI interface so there's another way to program the microcontroller.
- I moved the analog circuitry as far away from digital as possible and isolated the ground planes.
- I moved the VCA circuitry to a less vulnerable (noise) area on the PCB.
- I still kept the same general layout for all parts just like the 303/x0xb0x.
- I added a trimpot and resistor to the VCA circuit for adjusting the DC offset of the VCA +/-5mV.

Besides the custom mainboard I've been working on the website. I'm trying to keep it simple. All of the documentation will be kept there along with other stuff. There's a sample pic of the website below as well.

Last edited by bcbox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

Very, very exciting Brian! I'm psyched to see the mainboard changes, especially the noise controlling things and the decrease in wire connections. Keep going!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”