MIDI Synced pattern start triggered by Key

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
indigenous

MIDI Synced pattern start triggered by Key

Post by indigenous »

Hi Guys/Gals,

I use BANNED and VST connections for all of my external kit, dumped my Mackie 24:8 Bus years ago ;-)

BANNED is able to offset the MIDI to compensate for the small audio latency of about 3-5ms, but it doesn't apply this compensation to the MIDI clock for obvious reasons. This works great for external kit triggered via MIDI, but for the x0xb0x it renders the internal sequencer pretty much useless in this setup :-(

I would like to request a firmware feature for sockos or maybe another firmware, where the clock/tempo of the x0xb0x is synced to MIDI clock, but the pattern is started and stopped via a key press or holding down a key, maybe C-1 could be used for this purpose as it is lower than the range of the VCO.

Kev

phono

Re: MIDI Synced pattern start triggered by Key

Post by phono »

what i normally do is have pattern 8 in any bank blank with 16 steps, that way you can choose 8 to stop and hit any other pattern to start a pattern thatll be in sync

indigenous

Post by indigenous »

hi Phono,

That doesn't work due to the patterns starting at the beginning of the next bar as dictated by the MIDI clock. The only solution is to use MIDI play mode, which is not ideal due to the way the glides work or fit something like brians x0xIO mod and then use a MIDI 2 CV converter, which probably the way I am going to go...

But, there is always a but ;-) I would like to combine the 2, do you know who wrote the s0kk0s firmware?

K

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

I was going through some files yesterday and I found this. I think it was a firmware mod I made for a customer who wanted a similar feature. I'm not sure if it works, but try it. From the look of the code, the R/S key will start/stop playback during MIDI Sync (same as the MIDI Start/Stop messages).
Attachments
x0xb0x_MIDISYNC_RS.hex.zip
(14.98 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Last edited by alex_dubinsky on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indigenous

Post by indigenous »

Hi Alex,

can you clarify what this firmware contains and how it works?

Kevin

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

It's the stock 1.05 firmware in which the R/S key stops/starts playback during MIDI Sync.

indigenous

Post by indigenous »

Hi Alex, does this replace the midi start/stop signal or work in addition to?

Maybe with a little extra moddding I can trigger the run key via MIDI CC or gate signal.

Kev

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

It works in addition to. I can turn off start/stop signaling though. The changes amount to a single line.

indigenous

Post by indigenous »

Hi Alex,

So does this mod allow me to start the pattern anywhere in time, or does the x0xbox sequencer start the pattern on the next beat?

Can you clarify what the line of code is?

Kev

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

It should start within a MIDI beat or two (it has to be synced to MIDI, after all, right?). The change is in pattern_play.c in the if() statement that controls stop/start. I simply added a condition ((sync == MIDI_SYNC) && just_released(KEY_RS) && !playing) alongside the usual ((sync == MIDI_SYNC) && (midi_cmd == MIDI_START)). Other behavior would take a bit more code.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

As you can see in the code snippets in alex_dubinskys post the x0xb0x will wait for both MIDI clock to be present _and_ a MIDI_START command.

I just tried this in Pro Tools and I can set a delay on a MIDI port that will delay the MIDI_START command just as you want. When I press play, the x0xb0x will start after the delay in time I put in.

Are you sure that this is not possible in BANNED? Note that this is different from setting a delay on the MIDI commands in a track, you need to look for possibilities of setting a delay on MIDI clock, MIDI beat clock or whatever it might be called, presumably on a specific MIDI port on your MIDI interface.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”