Octave down

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
psoul

Octave down

Post by psoul »

Hi all

i try to find and search in the forum but invane

i have the lastest sokkOS

i find 4 octave

-down light on
-no light
-up ligh on
-up light flashin

is it possible to have a lower octave (c0-b0) , something like
-down light flashin

ps
i remember this was possible in a previous verson of sokkOS... or am i just wrong?

Luap

Re: Octave down

Post by Luap »

I'd imagine it is possible, but bass notes that low would be nigh on inaudible, no? To try, go to your lowest octave and turn the main tune pot right down. Play some notes.. You'll hear something, but nothing that much resembles useable musical notes.

I don't know if older versions of Sokkos could do what you are asking though. I have only ever used the latest release.

psoul

Post by psoul »

Hi Luap thank to get back to me

well my x0xb0x play till D-0, and you can hear the note very well

however i need this function to use only the sequencer to trigger an infamous external machine that doesn't have general transpose...
so to me would be a perfect function
if anybody know something more.. please help!

isak

Post by isak »

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10776
i think that could help, they are talking about higher cotave but i think it increase both ways, up and down. (i'm not sure)

good luck
:)

marrrs

Post by marrrs »

Ha! I was actually wondering the same thing yesterday! I would like to have one extra octave down, just like up, press the down twice 'till it blinks, one octave lower. Would that just be a firmware mod?

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

lazlokovacs wrote:Ha! I was actually wondering the same thing yesterday! I would like to have one extra octave down, just like up, press the down twice 'till it blinks, one octave lower. Would that just be a firmware mod?
As far as I know, no.
You only have six bits available for the notes. They are output on 6 pins from the microcontroller. Currently the notes 0x0(rest) and 0x0B through 0x3F are used and output. There is a note in the firmware code that the lowest notes(up to 0x0A) are not in use because they produce the same tone from the synthesizer engine.

In the firmware a note is stored as an 8-bit number, two bits are used for slide+accent and the rest for notes. You need to rewrite lots of stuff to have more available notes.

So, you would really need to build a new synth with new firmware to achieve this.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”