Using the CV & Gate from an external sequencer

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tsun

Using the CV & Gate from an external sequencer

Post by tsun »

Is it possible to use the CV & Gate outputs from an external sequencer, sort of using the xox as an analog interface? Also, is there any OS (or is it even possible) that will allow the gate or CV to be different than what the internal sequencer is sending? Is it possible to just make the gate turn on for all steps even if there's not a note on, turning it into a click output for syncing with old drum machines?

phono

Re: Using the CV & Gate from an external sequencer

Post by phono »

its not possible without modification, the cv/gate sockets on the x0x are output only so dont be sending votlages into them

tsun

Post by tsun »

phono wrote:its not possible without modification, the cv/gate sockets on the x0x are output only so dont be sending votlages into them
oh, that's not what I meant, I meant using the cv/gate outputs independently (via midi, i guess) of the internal sequencer. Is it possible to, say, have an OS that treats the cv/gate outputs as another midi channel and allows the internal synth/sequencer to run on it's own while still doing midi -> cv throughput? or would that tax the cpu too much?

after some research I've figured out that I won't actually need to do this, but it's still useful for the future in case I pick up an old polysynth with an arpeggiator or a monosynth sometime. i was thinking I would need to use gate to sync a drumulator I just bought, but it turns out I can just use the tape sync from my MC-50.

phono

Post by phono »

the cv/gate outs sends out whatever the x0x is currently playing, so if the x0x is using the internal seq it also sends the cv/gate for that pattern out of the sockets. Likewise if you are playing the x0x via midi, the cv/gate outs will be mirroring the notes played. In that mode you could use the x0x as a simple midi to cv/gate converter.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”