hardware/software mod to trigger each step

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tripbeat

hardware/software mod to trigger each step

Post by tripbeat »

in case i wanna use a tr909 to trigger each step via rim shot gate out or midi note on/off out - each trigger impulse should be set the xox sequencer to the next step.
what i need to change? i think its a hardware/software modification. someone did this before? or someone have an idea to build this?
thx a lot :)

rarara

Re: hardware/software mod to trigger each step

Post by rarara »

i was just searching for this mod and this is the only thread i can find. has this never been done on a x0xb0x or 303??

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Why not use midi?

rarara

Post by rarara »

i'm not lucky enough to own a 909, so this was just as way of an example :)

i guess i'd quite like to be able to trigger the pattern like maybe a 101 etc - ie advance the sequence by one step whenever a trigger signal is sent. i am currently running the nonx0x firmware, which doesn't respond to midi notes (i think this is the case - i have just been using the synced x0xb0x sequencer since, so this may be nonsense :oops: )

antto

Post by antto »

i'm not sure what this rim shot thing is, or how a 101 is works
but if your idea is to just trigger each step with 1 event (like a clock tick or something) then it won't quite work - it's possible but you won't get the patterns to sound like on a 303
there are at least 2 problems:
1) the x0x sequencer needs at least 2 sepparate events for each step (one event is used to play the note, the other event to either stop the note or sustain it (connect it to the following one))
2) the 303 sequencer is even more complicated because it has triplet mode, which needs a different clock tick counter, and even more complicated because it has a metronome, you really need dinsync24 or MIDI with 48 PPQN (yes.. 48 clock ticks per beat)

well, that's if you wanna keep it 303-ish
otherwise you can do all kinds of firmware modifications

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

There is one more way... You could send it a really hacked up sync24...
24 pulses for each note you want to trigger.

But, once again: Why don't you just trigger the note with midi?

btw, 48ppqn, won't everything (except analogue korg gear) run in double speed? Midi is 24ppqn aswell?

antto

Post by antto »

xlarge: i don't know about other gear..
but the TB-303 uses 24 pulses per beat (dinsync) and depending on it's mode, this equals 48 "ticks" (since a pulse has two edges, rising and falling)
and you can't acheive this with MIDI sync if it only has 24 ticks per beat

now, in practice, usually the midi to dinsync converters "cheat" without telling you about it
on every MIDI clock tick they receive - they raise the dinsync clock signal for a short fixed period of time, and immediatelly lower it back down (rising, falling, done) and then they wait for the next tick
this makes an assymetrical PWM pulse clock signal (while the 303's clock is a square wave)
there are probably more advanced midi to dinsync converters which "detect" the midi tick rate and lower the dinsync clock signal approximatelly in the middle to make a square wave propperly
..i guess
but this kind of thing won't be perfect since changing the tempo would make the period detector "jump" a little till it detects the new freq
or using some midi clock generator which has shuffle would seriously f*ck up with such a detector

midisync24 != dinsync24

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Yes, ofcourse we can't compare sync24 with midiclock. But still, they are both 24ppqn. :D

I'm gonna measure my convertes and see what they do - really.
I remember reading something about Jomox or perhaps quasimidi i believe, that had to narrow pulse for older stuff to pick it up.

Oh, and the 303 will just count the pulses. So it would be as happy as normal with a screwed sync24.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”