Remove sawtooth fuzzyness on X0x (not present on 303)

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Brassteacher

Re: Remove sawtooth fuzzyness on X0x (not present on 303)

Post by Brassteacher »

Altitude wrote:I just tried this on mine with a switch and I cant hear any difference at all.. C11, C31 and C32 already perform that function and are more than enough, I suspect Jay has something else going on where more filtering is making a difference..
Could be a couple things. Either there are a few limitations in whatever equipment you're using to listen to your x0x, or you are one of the very lucky few that have an AC line to plug into that is amazingly clean and quiet. Could be that your x0x is in an area with very little RF or EMF interference to deal with.

I don't know if this has been an area of discussion or not, but when talking about the TB-303 vs. the x0xb0x, I don't remember anyone saying anything much about the differences in the power supplies, and nothing at all about the difference in the TB-303 running on batteries vs. a 9VDC wall-wart.

At this point I'll stop and keep my mouth shut, since, while I've a lot of experience working on various power supplies, I haven't got a TB-303 to listen for a difference in battery vs. wall-wart, and TB-303 vs. x0x. Perhaps someone has.

altitude

Post by altitude »

Well, having owned 3 606s over the years I can definitely confirm that there is a difference between wall wart and batteries but I dont think that translates at all to the x0xb0x since the power supplies are completely different between the 303/606 and the x0x. If the three caps that are already there at J4 are not enough to prop up to power to the point of adding more capacitence making an audible difference, then there is something else going on that's causing the initial problem. I have never heard any line noise in any of the dozen b0xen I have built and the way the PSU is designed, I would not expect to hear any

Brassteacher

Post by Brassteacher »

Altitude wrote:Well, having owned 3 606s over the years I can definitely confirm that there is a difference between wall wart and batteries but I dont think that translates at all to the x0xb0x since the power supplies are completely different between the 303/606 and the x0x. If the three caps that are already there at J4 are not enough to prop up to power to the point of adding more capacitence making an audible difference, then there is something else going on that's causing the initial problem. I have never heard any line noise in any of the dozen b0xen I have built and the way the PSU is designed, I would not expect to hear any
It's not so much a matter of a lot more capacitance as it is paralleling the existing caps with a small value cap. The small value cap will be there to filter any high-frequency BANNED that exists past the drop-out point of the main caps. When working on a power supply for higher to high-end audio work, many builders/designers (myself included) will bypass the main PS just for this purpose. Most people use anywhere between a 0.1 to 0.047uf film cap.

That said, on many electronic instruments and instrument amps, in order to keep the sound of the unit original or authentic, you just don't mess with doing things like that, especially if the owner of said amp or instrument is capable of doing you great bodily harm :mrgreen:

Just curious, what do you normally use to play your synths through?

altitude

Post by altitude »

I use a Tascam digital mixer (TDIF to my comp, line level inputs).

Brassteacher

Post by Brassteacher »

Altitude wrote:I use a Tascam digital mixer (TDIF to my comp, line level inputs).
Cool, how about the output, as in speaker/amp or headphone/amp combination?

altitude

Post by altitude »

Brassteacher wrote:
Altitude wrote:I use a Tascam digital mixer (TDIF to my comp, line level inputs).
Cool, how about the output, as in speaker/amp or headphone/amp combination?

Both. Powered monitor speakers and cans right off the mixer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”