x0xi0 full kit with mixer pcb inside

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kroutshev

x0xi0 full kit with mixer pcb inside

Post by kroutshev »

Hi x0xbuilders !
i'm happy owner of x0xbox with x0xi0 full kit since few months and mods are working well. But i can't use it as i want cause of that crappy click from mixer out always present. It's very annoying and that's why i have decided to open my x0xbox and modifiying it to implement "mixer pcb kit". Not very easy to desolder parts when you have already mounted everything with all theses wires between cards but i have done that with success and i was very impatient to test it. Everything is working well as before but these f....g clicks are still presents :-( ... i don't understand why ?? As i have read about mixer pcb kit it must resolve that problem and sound must be clear !!
Any of you have been already implemented that modification in x0xi0 full kit ? and do you have these sound clicks as mine with or without mixer pcb kit ?
Thanks for your answers.
K.

dnigrin

Re: x0xi0 full kit with mixer pcb inside

Post by dnigrin »

I have the kit, but have yet to install the new mixer PCB... I implemented the DC offset mod manually (with Brian's help) before the full mixer kit came out, and it helped quite a bit...

Perhaps your clicks are caused by one of the other potential sources that Brian mentions here? (last two posts):

http://alphazone1.com/x0xi0/support/

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Thanks, Dnigrin i will check that page. The fact is before i mount pcb kit i heard clicks even if volume was 0. Now i listen them only when volume is up and when filter cut off is at the first half ... and i have ba662a for the vca !

Maus

Post by Maus »

I installed the mixer kit into my X0Xio. With volume down I hear nothing.
With the volume up and the OSC controls set to 0, I hear clicking and there is a little noise too.

It seems the click are corresponding to the gate pulses. On accented notes it almost turns into a pop with the accent control turned all the way up.

Im looking through all the posts to see what can now be done. Im sure I saw a mod to install a trimpot around the vca.

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Hi,
i have seen the trimpot vca mod but i can't make it with x0i0 kit because some of the pins are already used !
Still waiting for news from Brian to remove them ... but nothing at the moment.

altitude

Post by altitude »

kroutshev wrote:Hi,
i have seen the trimpot vca mod but i can't make it with x0i0 kit because some of the pins are already used !
Still waiting for news from Brian to remove them ... but nothing at the moment.
Get a small 1/4 trimmer and put it anywhere, I just used the IC15a socket for convenience, all the pint (+12, GND, pin2) are very close together so it should not be a big deal to fit it somewhere. Just solder to the solder pads.

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Hi,
i've just finished a new x0xb0x with x0xi0 full kit and i always hear clicks. This is a record done with all controls to zero, during the record i open filter cut off and close it after ...
x0xi0-clicks.wav
Please x0xi0 owners could you tell me if you have the same clicks with yours ?
Thanks
K.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

Hi Bruno,
Is that your 2nd or 3rd now?
I can't hear good on my crappy computer speakers, I'll listen in the studio later.
Anyone else with a Full x0xi0 chime in if you can.

Brassteacher

Post by Brassteacher »

Stupid question deleted...
Last edited by Brassteacher on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Hi Brian,
that's my third the new one but unfortunaly all of them have these clicks into sound ... :-( !
And when i move the i/o boards from the mainboard, the clicks disepeared ... But when everything is inside the pactec case, of course i have the clicks !!!

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

yes those are trigger clicks coupling into the audio, not clicks from VCA dc-offset.
I have built over (30) now myself so I can say without question those clicks can be eliminated.
The first thing to do is to find out where they coming in at.
99% of the time it's the mixer stage since it's right next to all the gate/trigger stuff; this is the reason for the mixer PCB kit (sorry if you already know all this!).
Does this box have the Mixer pcb kit installed?

1. Listen to the output from the VCF using the VCF Out jack on the back. Clicks? If not then see below.
2. Listen to the signal at pin 2 of the volume control. This is the VCA Output. Clicks?
If there are clicks now then it's the VCA Input circuit that's responsible. If still no clicks yet then it is indeed coming in at the mixer stage. If you already have the mixer PCB kit installed make sure the original mixer stage components on the mainboard are completely removed or cut out, then try moving the location of the white shielded cable away from all the other wires.

Aside from the clips on the website below are some test clips of recent customer x0xi0's that I have built..
x0xi0 1
x0xi0 2
x0xi0 3
x0xi0 4

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

This x0xb0x have mixer pcb native built in ! i've just finished to mount it and there's no part sodlered into mixer section in the mainboard pcb ! In that case mainboard pcb is clean.

The thing that i have listened is that when mainboard pcb with top x0xi0 pcb is not directly under i/o board i have no click
But when i assemble the boards into pactec case, of course mainboard/top pcb are under i/o boards, i listen the clicks like in the sound demo that i have posted last night !

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

The thing that i have listened is that when mainboard pcb with top x0xi0 pcb is not directly under i/o board i have no click
ok this is a little different than the usual. Usually the problem is the proximity of the x0xi0 top pcb and the x0xb0x mainboard, since they're only 5mm apart.
When you mention I/O board do you mean the x0xi0 I/O board or the regular x0xb0x I/O board?
It sounds to me like it could be VCA In circuit. Check this first; do the tests in my last post and see if the clicks are present at the VCA Output (test 2. in the last post)

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Great Brian,
i have tested as you wrote me and i have removed vca in wire , that's ok, no more click ! Perfect :-)

Now i have to check the others one to see if it's the same problem !
Thanks a million and have a nice time !
Next step i will build a x0xb0x with your custom's pcbs !
Cheers

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

That is great news. I know you have had these clicking problems with more than one x0xi0 and have contacted me on and off many times trying to solve it.
The VCA input is very high impedance, it doesn't take much to ruin your day, even when the input is shielded.
In my latest install manual I made a note about this and pretty much recommended not to install the VCA In wire unless you really want it and are willing to check for noise etc...Let me know how the other one is. Most people have problems with those dirty transient clicks coupling into the Mixer stage, but alas it can also happen at the VCA input.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”