Adding LED indicators to switched mods

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stinki

Adding LED indicators to switched mods

Post by stinki »

OK my brain is a little fried from all the soldering and crafting I've been doing on the xox.

I'm now pretty much done, added all the mods I wanted, everything working nicely...I'd like to add a finishing touch of little LED's that illuminate when the switches/mods are activated, but I'm really a beginner when it comes to understanding circuits..I'm using DPDT pushbutton switches for all the switchable mods -- bass boost, res boost, env range x3, etc. So all the switches have an extra row of pins (except for the bass boost button, which uses both rows). I'm a little lost after that. Where would I get juice/ground from? I assume I just need proper voltage going to the free center pin, and to a side pine a 4.7k (or whatever) resistor connected to the LED anode and then connect a convenient ground to cathode...Any tips or examples for brain-fried novices?

altitude

Re: Adding LED indicators to switched mods

Post by altitude »

DPDT switch with a 5V rail,resistor, and LED in parallel with the on-off of the mod is the simplest

stinki

Post by stinki »

I'm still a beginner. I understand the basic concept at play in making the switch but technically I am still confused. Can you give me an example?

For instance here's the bass boost mod wiring that uses a DPDT switch to select an alternate set of caps for C20 and C21

switch pin1a - .1uF
switch pin1b - .1uF
switch pin2a - .01uF
switch pin2b - .01uF
switch pin3a - C21 (pin1)
switch pin3b - C20 (pin1)
.1uF - C21 (pin2)
.01uF - C21 (pin2)
.1uF - C20 (pin2)
.01uF - C20 (pin2)

Where would an LED fit into this? Could it, since both rows of pins are used on the switch?

altitude

Post by altitude »

For that, use a 3 position switch

stinki

Post by stinki »

OK, so I was understanding that correctly then, at least..

How about a simpler example then, the Env range x3 mod for instance:

- center post of spdt switch to 100k, then to one side of R63
- "on" post of spdt switch to the other side of R63

I've got it on a DPDT switch so I've got that extra row. But I really am so new to this I can't figure out how to connect the LED. Where should I draw 5v from? I don't want to draw it from anywhere inappropriate...A specific example would help enormously, but thanks for any tips and your patience

stinki

Post by stinki »

For instance, what about drawing the 5v from pin1 of R65 (since it's close to R63 this would keep my wires a little neater, anyways) -- or should I draw it from somewhere specific? Just want to be safe/sure/do it right

stinki

Post by stinki »

OK well I've got my homemade LED pushbuttons working fine, and I don't hear anything funny going on -- guess I was just being paranoid that I'd cause some subtle and frustrating issue (saw a few posts about issues when taking power from certain points) -- hurray

altitude

Post by altitude »

sorry for the late reply, the 5V rail is exclusive to the digital section so tapping it wont have an impact on anything analog related..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”