Negativ / Inverted Env Depth

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mario1089

Negativ / Inverted Env Depth

Post by mario1089 »

For me personally, having the option to have the env inverted ( like a bipolar env-depth knob on a soft synth) would be the #1 modification. I guess in this case we`d have a switch to invert, not a bipolar knob (which would be better). I wonder if this has ever been discussed. If not, does someone feel able work out the schematics for this? I have some basic knowledge about electronics (or, well, used to have 10 years ago..), but I`m afraid this one is a bit beyond my abilities atm.

antto

Re: Negativ / Inverted Env Depth

Post by antto »

to make the filter envelope go from low to high?
this won't sound very interesting, and i suspect it might be difficult to make it fully bypass-able
it would ruin the Accent and the whole 303 sound..

i can make you a sound recording to hear how (bad) it will sound if you want

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Well, we have made a 303-kinda soft synth here where we did that, and I can tell it`s not bad. Basically sounds like a synth with non-zero filter env Attack. Listen to it: After 2 bars I switch to inverted env. But it may be you`re right, that it`s not worth the effort. I looked through the presets, finding it wasnt used much by the sound designers.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-480 ... 1.wav.html

Greetz,
Mario

antto

Post by antto »

http://soundcloud.com/antto/vb303-2012-inverted-fenv
this is kind of how it would sound if you could perfectly invert the envelope at the envmod pot (like 1.0-x)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

yep, right. my example is the same, kinda. Wouldn`t say it "sounds useless", though:) It`s useless when talking about common 303 usages, but I think it`s cool sometimes. Good for addiotional 2nd basses, simple soft backing off basses maybe, as a variation at the end of bar, or as a smeary variation in the "big break". But still, I`d agree on "mostly useless":) not useful enough for me to study the books for weeks again, but maybe it`s a matter of minutes for someone here to draw the circuit !? Or is it just not so trivial, which I assume? (Yes, if not fully bypassable, it`s a no-go!!)

marrrs

Post by marrrs »

Useless?! Are you kidding? It sounds freaking amazing is what it is!

antto

Post by antto »

if it cannot be made with a real bypass - you basically ruin the x0xb0x (in case you might ever want to sell it)
people usually buy a x0xb0x because they want a 303
doing that to a 303 basically kills it ;]

anyway.. for inverting the envelope maybe an inverting opamp... blah

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”