MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mario1089

Re: MarOS - Fresh Firmware - Usability Update 1.3

Post by mario1089 »

I have not removed any of that editing features (but also not explicitely tested, whether I broke something).

Regarding Tap: What I could do is not really TAP write as in the video, but much simpler. While playing a pattern, you press and hold the tap key, and after releasing it, the machine would create one long bound note, that fills up the time that you held the button - using the pitch of the step you were at when you started holding the tap key. That way you could first edit the pitches with all-steps-on, then using the tap to bind notes to one note. I think it sounds like it would be something nice to have, watcha think?

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Looks like pangrus is a logic user, right? At least there is few other applications that call no swing "50%" and straight triplets "66%". In all my projects we`ve always been calling no swing "0%" and straight shuffle"100%". So, it`s just a matter of terminology. Goes from 50% to 66% resp. 0% to 100%.

You`re idea about a seperate swing depth for sync output is reasonable and definitively easy to do, but then again pretty edge-casy ("bassline swung - drums not" is, well, pointless). If we have bytes left at the very end, I`ll consider it, but I don´t think that will happen.

So what you could test is DinSync OUT but not IN? That`s enough for me. But what about MIDI Clock out, you have a 909 or some groove box?

I`ll look at the bug, thanx!

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Looks like pangrus is a logic user, right? At least there is few other applications that call no swing "50%" and straight triplets "66%". In all my projects we`ve always been calling no swing "0%" and straight shuffle"100%". So, it`s just a matter of terminology. Goes from 50% to 66% resp. 0% to 100%.
Ok, it's just terminology (terminologic :D ). On logic you can use "negative swing" (swing parameter <50), the note is anticipated rather than delayed. Never used. On my Electribe the parameter of swing has minimum of 50 and a maximum of 75 (66 is for straight triplets). This makes more sense to me.
("bassline swung - drums not" is, well, pointless)
This is what is happening with the current release. I'd like to swing both but by a different amount...but I agree, we can live without it :D swing it by the same amount!
But what about MIDI Clock out, you have a 909 or some groove box?
Midi clock out and din sync out are working fine in PATTERN SYNC OUT mode. If you start the xoxbox in PATTERN EDIT mode the midi clock is delayed (particularly noticeable at veeery slow tempo), the din sync out is not generated at all.
Workaround is starting the xoxbox in PATTERN SYNC OUT mode and then switch to PATTERN EDIT.

I hope this will help.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Midi clock out and din sync out are working fine in PATTERN SYNC OUT mode. If you start the xoxbox in PATTERN EDIT mode the midi clock is delayed (particularly noticeable at veeery slow tempo), the din sync out is not generated at all.
Could you tell whether this has also been the case in sokkOS1.9 or did I break it?

rarara

Post by rarara »

mario1089 wrote:Smart randomizer and macro functions to create cool patterns without any step editing. 20(!) macro / randomizer commands available in edit mode.[/b]
Within this function what position does pressing "Note Button E (“Un-Do”):" take us back to?

I am imagining a situation where I might have begun with a pattern but made multiple randomisations of different types. I can see that it might be desirable to un-do the last randomisation. I suspect that “Un-Do” simply returns to the original pattern though. Can both options be incorporated?? :?:

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

haha, thats funny again, I am currently thinking about randomizer undo.. Easy to do, but will be only 1 step back, maybe 2.

As is now, takes back initial state, as stored in eeprom, just like you said.

Cheers,
Mario

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Could you tell whether this has also been the case in sokkOS1.9 or did I break it?
Yes, in sokkos 1.9.1 and 2.0 is the same. You have not broken anything!

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

pangrus wrote:
Yes, in sokkos 1.9.1 and 2.0 is the same. You have not broken anything!
Then it`s likely to have a reason, and the "workaround" is the intended workflow. These things are tricky in the code, and fixing it may break other things, so I keep it as is.
Thank you for sorting out these things.

am4d

Post by am4d »

1.3 is great mario. Very interested in your tap mode idea, that along with any bug fixes would make this my ideal firmware.
Thanks.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

So.. I worked a lot on the swing on din/midi out, and that works now perfectly as far as I can see; we`ll have to test the dinSync, though, as I dont owe gear like that. But tested MIDI sync with a korg electribe, and that one was swinging, I tell ya:)

Half-time in/out was working smooth regarding syncronisation, at end of pattern.

I`ve done a normal last-action-undo now: pressing UNDO (E1-Key) one time reverts last action, pressing it again reverts to patterm as stored, and quickly double-pressing it creates default pattern "da-da-da...". What this means is we have one free key (SLIDE key) and 49 bytes.

So what to do with that? Some tapping (not sure if fits)? Something else? Suggestions welcome.

am4d

Post by am4d »

I'd love to see tap input if 49 bytes allows for it.
Maybe:
Tap once, pattern goes silent, sequencer still running (maybe metronome style bleeping)
Tap again to input timing info?

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

But tested MIDI sync with a korg electribe, and that one was swinging, I tell ya:)
Do you mean you're applying swing to the Midi Clock when the xoxbox is the master clock?

Two ideas for the slide button:
1) Reverse - the note sequence is reversed.
2) Randomize pattern lenght.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Yes, when the box swings, normally anything else that's slaved wants to do the same... Osmk411 was initially coming up with that, and although I personally don't have need for that, I deeply believe it's just a shame if it's not like that.. so that's done now, and this time also fine adjustable. I'm sure theres more than a few that will be happy with that in end. Swing is not an edge case, hehe.

I like the latest idea for the remaining key, and I think I do one of them, as a real tap write is outta reach anyway. Lets see.

rarara

Post by rarara »

id say reverse (thought that was in the latest sokkos though - has it been removed?) would be a better addition since random gate length will never be able to be saved if it sounds good

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Id say reverse won't sound much different - in terms of musical quality - than any other messing around with existing events, without changing them. And that we have already. So I do something with pattern length. That thing is missing completely ATM. Is it ok, if I move the buttons a bit for the official release, so patt length is near loop, and slide rand goes to its obvious place?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”