MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paradigm x

Re: MarOS1.0.1 *new firmware - lots of new features*

Post by paradigm x »

Yeah, the MIDI sync in pattern edit worked in SOKKOS 1.9.

Its a nice feature but not life or death (to me at least).

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Then I ll try to make it work again. Would be a good improvement to the workflows.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

The way it worked was pretty cool, but while you're playing, it may be possible to improve?

Basically, it had to be in midisync mode when starting, and then you turn the knob to go to pattern edit and it works. But then it wont start again without the knob being twisted back to midi sync mode.

Maybe it could always sync to midi?

Like i say, not a major issue, it would be cool either way.

Nice one, still need to uplaod your latest one.

cheers
Ben

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I fixed the MIDI sync when going to edit mode from MIDI sync mode, and I almost finished variable gate length, but as you can see here:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34113

things may take a while to finish.

Stupid me :(

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

antto wrote:yup... http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29282
it's not just for uploading firmware, it is supposed to do everything that c0ntr0l does, and runs on win32/osx :mrgreen: .. it seems it's very unpopular even that a bunch of months passed since it was released :?
Perhaps it's the commandline-GUI that prevents popularity? :wink:
Control works for me, never tested your proggie... (But like your AcidTunes :) )

antto

Post by antto »

c0ntr0l is very sensitive to some conditions, doesn't give you almost no error messages
for example - change your USB-Serial settings (in the driver) and c0ntr0l will fail without giving you any clue why

backing up the patterns never worked for me, 128 patterns * 16bytes == 2048bytes (2kB) .. c0ntr0l creates .xbp files of about 1.7 - 1.8kB which is not all patterns, AND it never gives any error or warning about this, so i lost some patterns the very first time, when i look at the file i see it's not 2kB, too late
not to mention that importing them back in didn't quite work either

composing patterns in c0ntr0l - tried to use it once, i think there was a bug with it
then i made my own firmware which uses completely different pattern format - c0ntr0l simply is not an option

BANNED was supposed to fix all these issues, i didn't think i can figure how the firmware flashing works, so i only hoped to have a more stable tool for backing up my patterns safely every time
not only that this works now, but it has pattern editor with TB-303-style programming, AND it works on both stock firmware / sokkos and n0nx0x (automagically converts the patterns to the x0x format)
individual patterns can be imported/exported, and it uses a format which i use in my soft synth which itself works with a few more formats like ABL2 .pat, qs303 .syx, text-based .303 format

don't let the GUI fool you, it's not as if you have to type in commands like a mad h4x0r
most of the time you can click the menus with the mouse
it was a priority to make the UI simple enough and yet easy and fast to operate..

btw, i have a new track on my youtube account

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

antto wrote:c0ntr0l is very sensitive to some conditions, doesn't give you almost no error messages
for example - change your USB-Serial settings (in the driver) and c0ntr0l will fail without giving you any clue why
it was a priority to make the UI simple enough and yet easy and fast to operate..

btw, i have a new track on my youtube account
Hi antto,

thanks for the detailed description of the advantages of your program!
I think I must give it a try! This evening I will test it!

Never tried to restore the saved patterns from file with c0ntr0l because till now I haven't created more than 128 Patterns! But if this doesn't work this would be a reason to use BANNED or safebox!

Question: Is it possible to implement the ability to import abl2 or rebirth patterns with BANNED?
That would rock!

-roxxx303

antto

Post by antto »

we should discuss this in the BANNED thread

my softsynth supports loading ABL patterns and saves to .NSP (so BANNED can load .NSP patterns)
i don't want to overcrowd BANNED with all those pattern formats
instead, i planned to make a sepparate menu for (offline) managing of patterns between NSP / CXM / PAT files
or a standalone app <- this might be the best way actually

as for your c0ntr0l patterns just check your .xbp files, if they are less than 2kB - c0ntr0l didn't work

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

antto wrote:we should discuss this in the BANNED thread

my softsynth supports loading ABL patterns and saves to .NSP (so BANNED can load .NSP patterns)
i don't want to overcrowd BANNED with all those pattern formats
instead, i planned to make a sepparate menu for (offline) managing of patterns between NSP / CXM / PAT files
or a standalone app <- this might be the best way actually

as for your c0ntr0l patterns just check your .xbp files, if they are less than 2kB - c0ntr0l didn't work
Hi antto,

1. My c0ntr0l-files are 2,26 KB (2.315 bytes). Is that ok?
2. Where is the BANNED-thread?
3. Where is the link to your softsynth?
4. Where do you live?

Cheers!
-roxxx303

antto

Post by antto »

weird, lets assume the .xbp files are "good"
BANNED thread: link in my signature, the thread is currently being bumped
v0.99 had a silly bug so .xbp files won't load, this is fixed in v1.00 (which is gonna be out these days)
my softsynth is a bit far from release state, sadly..
i live in bulgaria (EU)

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

@mario
I'll patiently wait for a new release and I hope you'll solve your problem soon!

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Yeah, good luck getting it sorted man.

cheers
Ben

mario1089

Re: MarOS1.2(!!!) new firmware - MORE new features

Post by mario1089 »

DONE.

See the first post of this thread to be updated for version 1.2. Full documentation is part of the zip.

-- Variable Gate Length!!
-- Added a new feature for automatic random runtime variations.
-- Fixed the bug when going to patt edit from MIDI mode.
-- Some other bugs fixed.
-- Reactivated USER-A / PAT-EDIT (MIDI) mode

Guys, never thought I`d be ever back in the days when it was about saving single bytes. What a fun. Code gets more and more unreadable because of the little tricks to save some damn bytes, but yeah, back in the 80s. Keyboard mode misses slides, accents, octaves now, you`d better use the original firmware while you`re building..

Have fun,
Mario

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Amazing! The way to select automatic randomizing is tricky but the results really blow my mind away.
I'll test the new release deeply in the next days, but the first impression is that everything is working fine.
Thanks Mario for the great job. (are you italian?)

rarara

Post by rarara »

am a bit confused reading the pdf (not installed and tested yet :cry: ) as new swing says "in pattern play mode and hold the chain button while pressing Prev/Next to step through the depths" and variable gate length also seems to say "In pattern play mode, hold CHAIN and press PREV / NEXT to decrease/increase
the gate length
"

am i missing something?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”