MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mario1089

Re: MarOS - Fresh Firmware - Usability Update 1.3

Post by mario1089 »

So here we go: MarOS1.3 - Usabilty update:

- Parameter Adjustment mode to adjust swing, gate length and all automatic variation parameters while playing, with the tempo knob. Enter/Leave the mode by pressing the tempo knob, in pattern play modes.
- Randomizer functions constantly accessable after entering randomizer mode by pressing CHAIN one time (and not holding it), in pattern edit mode, while playing. Press again to leave mode.
- 2 new automatic variation parameters: Octave down, Rest
- UN-DO: all randomizer changes get reverted (back to pattern as stored) by pressing E1-Key, former “Dark”-scale-function is removed.
- Classic / non-classic MIDI mode state is stored in internal memory and restored “the next day”.

Attachments you`ll find at the first post.
Have fun!

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Mario, thanks for the excellent work, I'll try it right away.
This is the definitive firmware.
Thumbs up!

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Thanx!
well, it`s close to be perfect for me. But to be a definite firmware it should use antto`s lossless pattern format (not loosing the note when one tries a step to be a rest) and the pitch-mode / time-mode editing like in nonxox/TB303 should also optionally be there.. but, damn, no more bytes available. And: proper fine swing on dinsyn-out is also missing because of no bytes.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

@pangrus: I saw your other posts, and you being quite into swing on DinSync out. I guess it would be worth taking another look on that issue for MarOs - but I don`t owe any other DinSync gear, so haven`t tested what the state is now (but I could test using an oscilloscope). I guess it would be easy to apply the same fix as Osmk411 did(I know him personally, and I kinda know what he did), but actually I think the swing should be better on DinSync out, fine adjustble and then doing exactly the same as the xoxbox w/ MarOs, and also be right for the 1/32 notes of a drum machine (but that needs SOME bytes).

So what do you think? What`s the state in MarOS? What would you wish for?

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

mario1089 wrote:So here we go: MarOS1.3 - Usabilty update:
Hi Mario,

thanks for your hard work!
I still had no time to test the new version, but will do it tomorrow evening.
It would be nice if you could zip the hex to be shure, when downloading, that the file is not corrupted.
And please add the sources!

It would be really good to have a new official, stable, tested, fun OS: MarOs.
Some people started a new OS, but they never brought it to an end:
- sokkos 2.0 beta
- n0nx0x
- a "fixed" sokkos 1.9.1 (First note midi-sync-problem-fix)
- a din-swing-out-fixed sokkos

Please bring it to to an end Mario!

Another Question:
What was removed compared to sokkos 1.9?
Is the song mode removed? I never used it, but in an official version I think it should be possible to build songs...

Bring it to an end!
cheers!
-roxxx303

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

@Mario
Have you seen this thread?:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29630

Would this be possible in your randomize modes? ( :cry: - I know the lack of bytes...)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

roxxx303 wrote:@Mario
Have you seen this thread?:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29630

Would this be possible in your randomize modes? ( :cry: - I know the lack of bytes...)
No, impossible. As far as I understand nonxox is dealing with kind of these things, so if not already in nonxox, antto I guess has it on his list when it comes to a bigger CPU. For the xoxbos it will require an awful lot of code and the nonxox pattern format. No way. MarOS is so tight now with bytes, it`s no fun anymore.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Yeah, would like to bring this to an end, just like you said, official, tested fun-OS for those who want.

What`s removed from sokkOS is in 7) of the documentation:

7) Things removed from sokkOS2.0
– All track modes
– Manually playing Accent, Slides in keyboard mode
– Computer Control mode (what was that for?)
– Tap Tempo
– Transpose pattern by semi notes now in pattern randomizer only
– Some other way to transpose patterns (I think from sokkOS2.0 update) , not sure how that worked.

- Next update maybe random mode (the stupid never repeating melody..) will leave to have space for fixes.

There is now way to bring anything back, bytes are rare. so rare.

I`m actually thinking, that I will only look for fixes now + try to get the swung DINSync output to be as good as possible. That will be an 1.3.1 update. Don`t think I`ll do more on it (or can do more).

So let`s test and find bugs:)

antto

Post by antto »

Tap-Write (realtime TimeMode) as on the TB-303 is cool
i didn't code it in n0nx0x (due to lack of space) but i have it in my softsynth, it works the same way as on the 303 - you can chain up to 4 patterns (with different pattern lengths and triplet or not) and go to Tap-Write mode.. there's a metronome.. very nifty
it doesn't "require" the patterns to be in any special format

..since it's part of the TB-303 PatternEdit mode - i have to have it (and i do, but not in n0nx0x)

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

I`m actually thinking, that I will only look for fixes now + try to get the swung DINSync output to be as good as possible. That will be an 1.3.1 update. Don`t think I`ll do more on it (or can do more).

So let`s test and find bugs:)
Yes, I'll test the swing mode in dinsync and I'll report other bugs (if any).

rarara

Post by rarara »

tested out the latest version mario and think its great - especially the new variation method using the tempo knob :mrgreen:

did make me consider one thing though. is it possible to have the 'tempo knob press = 1/2 time' begin at the next loop point/start of a pattern rather than at immediately when the knob is pressed? it would mean that the pattern would keep tempo better with any other gear when switching between tempo modes

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

@pangrus: No point testing it now - There is no swing on any sync output in MarOS1.3 as I know now. But I found bytes tonight, many bytes, just by optimizing something, so I implemented a proper, precise fine swing on both MIDI Clock output and DinSync output. It`s untested now, so will try to test with an oscilloscope, but then I`d need a real test with real hardware.
So, can I send you privately a version? And can you also test MIDI Clock output (with 909 or some digital groovebox)?

@rarara: I`ll have a look on changing tempo factor on pattern end, should be easy and small in size (not 100% sure), and, yes, makes sense.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

and one more: TAP write: I think i could do something simple, that`s a bit similar: Like when in randomizer mode, pressing SLIDE makes the machine store internally the step you`re currently at, then after releasing the button it makes one long note from the press-step to the release-step - taking the pitch of the press-step. Would that be good for you guys, worth 100 bytes? Let me know.

rarara

Post by rarara »

not following completely, but tap write would be a welcome addition

is pattern nudge, rotate etc still there by the way?

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

The din sync output works properly. Sadly, I don't have the opportunity to test the din sync input.
There is a small bug. When PATTERN SYNC OUT or PATTERN DIN SYNC modes are selected, the xox should ignore the midi start-stop messages.

For the swing:
First, I have to say that I'm confused about the current swing management. In the documentation is written that swing can be set from 0% to 100% but I think the machine is swinging from 50% to 66% where 50 means no swing and 66 means pure shuffle. Is a messed up topic, I hope that someone else can tell if I'm right or not.

To have the swing also on the din sync output will be a good option. In my opinion should have a setting that differ to the one selected for the xoxbox. It could be accessed by holding (keeping pressed) PREV during realtime variation and changed with the tempo knob as the "main" swing.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”