MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pangrus

Re: MarOS - Fresh Firmware - Usability Update 1.3

Post by pangrus »

Yes, Mario you've done an excellent work, let me repeat it!

Let me share some toughts:

1)If having the swing on the Din Sync output it's too complicated, or messy, just forget it. It's better to have a rock solid and tight Din Sinc output than a weak swung one. On the Midi side, the swing seems to work well and this can be very useful, especially with old drum machines (or sequencers) that have Midi but not the swing parameter.

2) What makes this firmware awesome are two things: the excellent randomizer-macro editing functions and the automatic variation. This is a true step into auto generative music. One idea: to have a parameter (range 1 to 16) to decide when the automatic variation is applied. Setting the parameter to 4 means that the pattern is executed 3 times "straight" and 1 time with the random variations.

Keep giving us releases to test, soon we will have the best firmware ever.
Thank you.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

No, I won`t give up (Never!), and yes, going back to stable unswung DinSync is a fallback solution I`m also considering.
I think Ill do a test using an oscilloscope tonight, let me see what this tells me.

The ideas about the when to perform the variation is awesome, clearly. I was also thinking about similar things, but related to when within a bar; to have a parameter to decrease the probabilities for a variation early in the pattern, as I`d expect variations happen right before the downbeat, mostly. Will think about how we could have this combined. Maybe a couple of modes, that setup the 2 things in some way? Or 2 parameters. But then again, the bytes, the bytes:)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Good news: using the oscilloscope, I can easily see the DinSync clock signal, how it shakes to left and right when swung and also the start-stop voltage now. At least the general things should be fixable like that.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Ok, this version produces the (swung) clock signal and the start/stop signal, for both SYNC OUT mode and for MIDI-SYNC mode - at least on my oscilloscope.

Can you confirm the slaved DinSync devices start/stop and play patterns in that 2 modes? At least generally? Or what?

You see there`s plenty of bytes now to have space for cool things - I removed sysex-midi-pattern dump (sokkOS2.0), as I think that`s pointless: So much easier to store patterns with conbox1.0.. Agree?

<FILE REMOVED, TESTING DONE> wait for next beta.
Last edited by mario1089 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

am4d

Post by am4d »

Looks like it all works to me Mario, I think you've cracked it.
:shock: All those free bytes.

I agree, conbox is really easy.

Keep up the good work!

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Great! Nice to hear.. I`d guess if things are basically right, we still have to check things like "swing being of at times", or "triplet patterns skip a beat"? Who else can try that last version? Confirm improvements? Confirm problems?

Btw, defining which bar/step to have variations is really really good. works good here already, easy job. very musical, natural, reasonable.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

6 downloads of 1.4beta3 - can someone else confirm DINsync output basically works for the pattern play (SYNC out) and pattern play (MIDI SYNC) ?

(I know the sync is stilled a little messed when playing triplet patterns - I`m on it, you dont have to test this).

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

I made some testing.

SYNC OUT (Xoxbox as master clock)
The clocks, midi and sync, are right and tight, to my ears. They both swing correcltly. Good job.
Bugs:
1) Saving mess up the generated clocks.
2) You already know it, in triplet mode the clocks are irregular.

MIDI SYNC (Xoxbox synced to the external midi clock)
The Din Sync clock outputs, my slaved TB303 start and stop. The timing is wrong. Is seems is calculated from the internal tempo.

Only 6 people interested in this beauty? :)

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

The timing is wrong. Is seems is calculated from the internal tempo.
Thanx, that helps a lot. Can you fix the "timing is wrong" by setting internal tempo to match external tempo?

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Can you fix the "timing is wrong" by setting internal tempo to match external tempo?
Yes I can and it works perfectly. I suppose will slowly drift but is usable.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Ok, regard that as fixed:) Thanx!!

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Nice.
Can't wait to see the bar-related automatic variation thing, too.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

You can set the bar (every 2nd, 3rd, ..16th) and also the step range where variations are allowed - like step 11 to 16, so 1..11 will never be affected. So it`s 3 parameters now and it cost like 200 bytes or so. But worth every single of them:)

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Seems very good to me!

What about the save issue?
I love to edit patterns and save it while running.
To recreate the problem, slave your electribe to the xox and just press DONE repeatedly.
Hope this can help.

BTW Last monday I had a session with my friends and they were impressed by the new xox firmware.

antto

Post by antto »

when you do something cpu intensive - this f*cks up (slows down) the internal clock generation
that's why i wish it used analog clock like the 303

oh well..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”