Firmwaremods part2

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dar

Firmwaremods part2

Post by dar »

Hi x0xers!

I put up my latest modifications at: http://www.icb.se/araya/x0xb0x.html

test it at your own risk! :)

altitude

Post by altitude »

Seeing that you seem to have some (way more than me) insight into modding the firmware, how difficult would it be to make a midi syncd (x0x being the slave) pattern edit mode? I would love to be able to use the sequencer while slaved to my DAW midi clock

Post by Guest »

Altitude wrote:Seeing that you seem to have some (way more than me) insight into modding the firmware, how difficult would it be to make a midi syncd (x0x being the slave) pattern edit mode? I would love to be able to use the sequencer while slaved to my DAW midi clock

Difficult! I have no real knowledge about any of this, I can just read the code and understand what does what. Right now i cant make any major changes.
What is it that you want to do? You can't enter notes when the sequencer is running in pattern edit anyway, you can only add RAS.
Playing it in midisync works but why edit?
Tell me more!

/d

altitude

Post by altitude »

Actaully, you can edit in run write mode, but just being able to start and stop via external sequencer without changing the mode to external sync would make it alot easier to work with.

It is helpfull to hear the loop in the right time and it is kind of annoying to switch between the midi sync mode and pattern edit mode when I want to hear the loop in context with drums etc.

I glanced at the code and all that is needed (I hope) is to have the clock run from midi instead of the internal

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i think all you need to do is change the 'sync' variable in patternedit.c to MIDI_SYNC & make sure you dont turn on the internal tempo counter. you can look around patternplay.c to see how the sync variable is used.

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

ladyada wrote:i think all you need to do is change the 'sync' variable in patternedit.c to MIDI_SYNC & make sure you dont turn on the internal tempo counter. you can look around patternplay.c to see how the sync variable is used.
Hm, how hard would it be to make one of the user modes a copy of pattern edit but using midi sync instead?

altitude

Post by altitude »

Thats what I'm talking about...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

look at how pattern play is done. theres only one function, but it handles all the different sorts of syncs

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

ladyada wrote:look at how pattern play is done. theres only one function, but it handles all the different sorts of syncs
Hm, this sounds like something I could come to grips with, maybe I should go ahead and get the code...

;0)

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

Hm, anyone else have trouble getting into the cvs repository with an anonymous login?

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/x0xb0x login
Logging in to :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/x0xb0x
CVS password:
cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.sf.net rejected access to /cvsroot/x0xb0x for user anonymous

I assume at least one person has successfully done this, since he's been sending me modded firmware hex files ;0)

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

ah, nevermind, I was using the classic anonymous ftp method of using my email as the password, when it was expecting no pass.

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

ladyada wrote:i think all you need to do is change the 'sync' variable in patternedit.c to MIDI_SYNC & make sure you dont turn on the internal tempo counter. you can look around patternplay.c to see how the sync variable is used.
Does the sync variable for each mode in main.c override the one in each mode's c file?

Also, how does one go about making a new user mode (ie a new mode that is active when the switch is in a user mode, since I don't see a usermode.c or somesuch...)? I'm reading, maybe I'll figure it out, but if someone wants to give a quick explanation, that would be great.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i think you would be best off spending more than 15 minutes looking at the firmware code if you want to understand how it works... ;)

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

ladyada wrote:i think you would be best off spending more than 15 minutes looking at the firmware code if you want to understand how it works... ;)
Ouch, I suppose I deserved that ;0)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”