SokkOS, new modified firmware

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

resonator wrote:pattern nudge (pattern rotate) is shifting notes from left to right (and vice versa) while in pattern edit mode.
So, this is a different function than the nudge evilxsystems mentions then. This I could also add, but it might be expensive. This I want myself so I will definitely try to squeeze it in.

I guess the random pattern filling is missing then in those fw:s? I like that and will keep it so i will probably move it to holding one and pressing the other as in the nudge I might also add.

resonator

Post by resonator »

Sokkan wrote:
resonator wrote:pattern nudge (pattern rotate) is shifting notes from left to right (and vice versa) while in pattern edit mode.
So, this is a different function than the nudge evilxsystems mentions then. This I could also add, but it might be expensive. This I want myself so I will definitely try to squeeze it in.

I guess the random pattern filling is missing then in those fw:s? I like that and will keep it so i will probably move it to holding one and pressing the other as in the nudge I might also add.
pattern nudge and pattern rotate are both the same. just different terminology.
it's just like shifting notes using ReBirth.

truvc removed the "random" mode and pattern filling (chain button) to make space for more code.
both random modes are useless (or rather extremely limited, to put it politely). so there's no point in keeping them.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

But I got the impression that pattern rotate will permanently shift the pattern in memory one step at a time either forward or backward while pattern nudge will either skip a step or play a step twice but leave the pattern as it is in memory?

I would use pattern rotate to shift a pattern so it fits better soundwise with other stuff and nudge a pattern while playing to just align it properly if it got misaligned for some reason.

glitched

Post by glitched »

Yeah, I'll try it out today and post the first version.

I was wondering about the ability to have edit mode sync with an incoming clock signal? Is this possible? I would love to be able to edit patterns on the fly, while synced to my machinedrum/monomachine/whatever.

I guess it may be accomplished by your "live mode".

Anyway, I'll post the thing later today.

Edit: Ok, it's "later" now. Here's the link to the zip that has the source and hex files: http://www.glitched.org/box.html . It should be the first file in the list.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

glitched wrote: I was wondering about the ability to have edit mode sync with an incoming clock signal? Is this possible? I would love to be able to edit patterns on the fly, while synced to my machinedrum/monomachine/whatever.
You are right, this is possible with the live-edit mode. Just start in MIDI or DIN-sync playing mode and switch to edit when it is running. Then switch back when you are done.

I believe also that User A is a synched edit mode, it looks like it in the source code anyway. But you are stuck in edit mode there.

/F

glitched

Post by glitched »

I'll fool with it more today, but User Mode A seems to have the "late start" bug, where it doesn't quite sync.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

glitched wrote:I'll fool with it more today, but User Mode A seems to have the "late start" bug, where it doesn't quite sync.
Well, I have never tried it myself, I just noticed that there is something there when looking through the source code. You should really use one of the regular playing modes and switch to edit while holding R/S. (You need to be snappy to avoid glitches.)

I will see if I get the time to add some pattern rotate and nudge this week or latest this weekend, I'll send it to you then.

/F

ricco

Post by ricco »

I just tried your firmware, Sokkan, and here are my impressions...

The loop playing forward or backward is a great feature ! I can't stop remixing my patterns with it ! ;)

I noticed the shuffle feature does not mess with sync, as evilx's firmware used to do at times... this is good. ;)

The ability to switch from pattern play and pattern edit while playing can be useful, yet tricky to use, because of the glitch occuring sometimes.

The ability to step edit the pattern while it is playing in pattern edit mode is quite useful as well !

What's more, you managed to retain all of the original functionalities (keyboard mode, random mode, etc...) congratulations !

The only thing missing is the pattern nudge function, which is quite groovy too... I can't choose between your firmare and Evilx's ! I want both ! :lol:

Many thanks to you and the other firmware developers !

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

Ricco wrote: The ability to step edit the pattern while it is playing in pattern edit mode is quite useful as well !
yeah this was a really good idea!

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco »

The pattern nudge is only active (or only needs to be active ) in pattern edit mode, I don't see it needed in real time, at least if it's hard work you can leave it till later, and just do the edit nudge to align patterns better. The loop mode is active in playback mode only right? so it and nudge shouldn't interact like that right?

Please add nudge asap, I can't wait to have such a perfect OS rockin!!

el

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

i think nudge is pretty necessary in midi pattern play mode...especially when you use a bunch of weird length patterns....

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco »

OK sure, I'd love all incarnations of it included, but right now, just in edit mode and I can roll for ever. But yeah, More options is always my preference ;)

Jeez this is crazy, the real time step edit mode is like using rebirth, so bad ass.

SineSurfer

Post by SineSurfer »

So we all like/want pattern shift in both directions, good! and it makes more sense to have it only on edit mode, where you will tweak the pattern to make the best groove, and also to save some precious bytes for the other functions.:D

Now, going to the live mode, pattern nudge as Sokkan explained:
pattern nudge will either skip a step or play a step twice but leave the pattern as it is in memory
This sounds like a useful function on the Yamaha AN200, the "re-trig/roll" button, it loops the selected track between the step the pattern was playing when you pressed the button and the next step doing a roll effect until you release the button.

And another really useful function: rewind

Like on the electribes or AN200 rewind/top button, when you hit it, it takes you back to the first step of the pattern(you can do sort of scratched disc effect, and certalnly resync the pattern live).

This are just ideas, I'm not demanding anything at all :twisted:

Thanks for your efforts on this Sokkan, really apreciated!!

ricco

Post by ricco »

Did any of you try Evilx's firmware with pattern nudge in pattern play ? As Evilx says, it's very useful when things go off tempo, but it's also fun to play with to offset the pattern vs the beat on purpose.

By the way, some kind of resync function would be definitely welcome when things go too weird ! :lol:

Aaaah, I wish I knew a little about C-code so that I could help with the development... I'll give it a try ! ;)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

The pattern step editing while it's playing in pattern edit mode is really good, this was in fact another x0xb0x users idea. I merged some of mine ideas with a couple of other users before I started the hacking. I also made sure how they wanted it to work, including what buttons to press.

The loop-mode is active when live-editing. You can have a loop running(backwards if you like :D ) and then switch to edit-mode, it will still play the loop.

I spend 20 minutes this morning looking into nudge, pattern rotate and restart.

I put in nudging one step forward and restart in pattern play and also pattern rotate forward in pattern edit. I only have 16 bytes left so there is currently no space left for pattern rotate backwards.

Nudging backwards in pattern play is expensive. Is this really nescessary if you have restart and forward nudge?

I will look into it further this evening and see if I can scrape together the bytes needed for at least backwards pattern rotation. I will email glitched the stuff so he can put it up then.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”