SokkOS, new modified firmware

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

So, I just emailed the 1.1 SokkOS to glitched. It has everything as the old plus:

pattern rotate forward in edit mode, hold PREV and press NEXT to rotate it 1 step forward

nudge forward in play mode, hold PREV and press NEXT to skip a beat

restart pattern(or loop) in play mode, hold NEXT and press PREV to restart the playing pattern or loop

a fix for the annoying thing that the RAS buttons had an effect when using them for setting loop-points

I currently have 36 bytes left, this is not enough for neither nudge backwards in play nor pattern rotate backwards. Those two are not hard to implement, but they are a bit expensive in code size. I will see if I get some time this weekend to do some optimizations for size in the source code. I guess nudge backwards is more wanted, at least for me.

/F

resonator

Post by resonator »

sounds good.
i suggest eliminating "random" mode (both from the rotary knob and the chain button that randomizes patterns with the same 5 "presets") in order to make room to complete the pattern nudge & pattern rotate in reverse.

i'm sure you'll realize that nobody uses the random mode, since it accomplishes nothing at all.

8)

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco »

Yeah I can do without the random mode, the randomize I never use but it might be cool to keep if you can.

I think it would be cool if you could make restart pattern holding some button then hitting R/S, and then have the prev/next buttons for rotate and nudge.

If feasible of course.

Man, you rock!

SineSurfer

Post by SineSurfer »

I have a question, are we loosing anything found on the original firmware?

And... maybe improve the random function instead of removing it?

If it ends working fine it will be far more useful* than reversed pattern nudge & rotate I guess, as you can save the reversed pattern and manipulate it later, right?

*useful as in "dude, I'm out of inspiration... oh, let's hit that random button and see what comes out". Of course, as it is now, nobody hits that button... I remember finding some "brute" jewels on Rebirth back then, some user polish and you had a winner.

btw. resonator, can you point me to the file with the so called "random" code? I would like to take a look, not that I can fix it, but who knows :D

resonator

Post by resonator »

Randomizing patterns in ReBirth was cool since the possibilities were endless.
Unfortunately thats not the case with the x0xb0x due to lack of code space.
So all I've noticed was only a handfull of preset patterns.

None of the randomizing on the x0xb0x actually randomized any of my patterns. All it did was spit out the same presets, no matter what patterns I've created beforehand.

Sorry I don't know anything about the "random" code. Nor do I know anything about coding. Many years ago, I knew how to modify hex files. But that's long been forgotten. So I can't help out in that area.
All I can do is offer my suggestions.

From what I mentioned before about the lack of code space, trying to expand on the randomizing would definitely eat up too much code. In my opinion, having the pattern nudge and pattern rotate fully completed would be more usefull.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

resonator wrote: i'm sure you'll realize that nobody uses the random mode, since it accomplishes nothing at all.
random mode is good for testing, which is what it was originally for.

resonator

Post by resonator »

ladyada wrote:
resonator wrote: i'm sure you'll realize that nobody uses the random mode, since it accomplishes nothing at all.
random mode is good for testing, which is what it was originally for.
Does this also pertain to randomizing a pattern in edit mode using the chain button?

PS- check your PM. 8)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well you can do whatever you want with random mode. im just explaining what it was designed for :)

resonator

Post by resonator »

Thanks for explaining why it's there. :)

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco »

Damn Rich give the girl a hard time why dontcha :lol: She only helped you build your own 303 clone!!

:)

Backwards pattern nudge and I'm crack happy.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

I forgot to attach the package containing 1.1 in my email to glitched yesterday, but he should have it now and it should appear on his site in the near future.

Regarding the random modes, they are useful when testing and debugging.
(Remember, I am doing this mainly for myself... :) )
The code space they take up is quite small too so there is not much to gain in removing them.

I could replace the restart with nudge backwards if that is desirable. I do not really use any of them myself. This would leave a whopping 2 bytes left.

Pattern rotate backwards isn't entirely necessary, you can always rotate it forwards 15 steps in the worst case... But it is not exactly optimal...

So, try out the nudging I put in there in the 1.1 version and see if it suits your needs, I am always open for improvements(if I find them to be that).

Otherwise I'll have look at it on Sunday again and see if there is some space to save somewhere. Maybe some hints from the lady herself...? I am thinking of reducing the size of some variables, but it's no fun.

resonator

Post by resonator »

elmacaco wrote:Damn Rich give the girl a hard time why dontcha :lol: She only helped you build your own 303 clone!!

:)

Backwards pattern nudge and I'm crack happy.
hahaha.... she knows i'm not putting her on blast. :)

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

remove keyboard mode...seriously...who uses that other than for debugging or tuning?

glitched

Post by glitched »

I have updated http://x.glitched.org/ with the new version.
Click on the link to the shared files, on the left-hand side of the page.

resonator

Post by resonator »

Thanks, Glitched. Much apprieciated. Your website is definitely a good resource.

Sokkan - Thanks for putting in all the effort into your new firmware. I really appreciate it alot.

That said, much respect to evilx, truvc, and everyone who continues to contribute all their time and effort.

Limor - Thanks again for your responses and all your support.
I just wanted to make it clear publicly that I wasn't taking a jab at you about the Random mode (as I explained in my PM to you).
So incase anyone misinterpreted me, my comments weren't meant to be offensive at all. :)

So now it's time to give this new firmware a test run and make some more ACCEEEEEIIIIIDDDD!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”