Env range mod

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brandon daniel

Env range mod

Post by brandon daniel »

I added it to my x0x yesterday, I put it on a switch, actually, so I could side by side the difference. It's very subtle unless res is up and cutoff is down. Still, it's a neat extension of the sound set for smoother Plastikman type sounds.

To put it on a switch, on one side of where the resistor was, put a wire and the 10k resistor, wire each up to either side of the switch, and then return to the other side of where the resistor was from the common terminal on the switch, so you're switching between 10k and 0 resistance across that point.

I also put in the PS mod for extra filter warble, but that's not on a switch so I couldn't AB them. I've got a 2sk-o on the bench (thanks Altitude) and a BA662A in the mail (found a source with only one left), I'll do both those mods when the 662 arrives...

what is the PS mod??

Post by guest »

what is the PS mod??

brandon daniel

Re: what is the PS mod??

Post by brandon daniel »

guest wrote:what is the PS mod??
Replacing R1 with a higher value resistor, the intent is to load down the supply more when the filter is at high resonance, introduce the characteristic 303 filter warble. It's on the mods page.

altitude

Post by altitude »

Nice, can you post some samples of the env mod?

Fiercefish

Post by Fiercefish »

Hey Brandon, does the PS mod make much difference? I am going to do a few mods and was considering the PS mod.

FF

altitude

Post by altitude »

Yeah,
I would reccomed the PSU mod. I did it to mine and it really made the sound a bit more sloppy (in a very good way), and besides, its just one resistor

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

Altitude wrote:Nice, can you post some samples of the env mod?
http://www.fdiskc.com/aud/x0xenvmod.mp3

For any given cutoff level pairing, the bits with the least env-mod amount is with the mod on. The env->filter amount knob was all the way off for all of this. Setting it to a non-zero value essentially nullifies the mod.

Basically it just lets you turn the env amount all the way down to nothing (which you can't do with the knob without the mod), which with most settings for other parameters is very subtly different from without the mod. I intentionally chose settings here to make it the most obvious it would ever be, and at some settings here it's still pretty subtle.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

Brandon Daniel

what value did you sue on the power supply mod?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

With this mod permanantly in, will the X0X0Box still function exactly like a normal unit, as far as how high the env will modulate when you turn it fully up, or is the top end range reduced as well?

if the mod can be done and have the unit function exactly like it would
at the top end range of the Env moduation,
but be able to turn the Env mod all the way down without having to install
an on/off switch then that's what I want
What do you think?

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

CoolColJ wrote:With this mod permanantly in, will the X0X0Box still function exactly like a normal unit, as far as how high the env will modulate when you turn it fully up, or is the top end range reduced as well?

if the mod can be done and have the unit function exactly like it would
at the top end range of the Env moduation,
but be able to turn the Env mod all the way down without having to install
an on/off switch then that's what I want
What do you think?
I don't think you'd notice the difference if you just put it in there without a switch. For me, it wasn't that hard to put in a switch so I did for completeness' sake.

I think I used a 200ohm resistor in the PS, but I don't recall exactly.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

ok thanks

well my XOX is getting an adjustable trimmer for the power supply mod
100 ohm trimmer and a 20 ohm resistor- so I get an adjustable range of 120-220

should be interesting, I'll just tweak it till I like the sound of whatever value

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”