Bass boost mod?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CoolColJ

Bass boost mod?

Post by CoolColJ »

anyone done it yet?

reports?

braw

Post by braw »

I did it to my TB-303 years ago and it sounded great. The drawback is that it becomes pretty boomy. Which is awesome to hear solo, but it seems to overpower out a track. Just my opinion. I would imagine it would sound similar on the x0xb0x.

Post by Guest »

I did it to my 303 and my x0x, would recommend it. You could easily make it switchable or use eq to get back to the thinner sound. If you primarily use your 303/x0x for leads then don't bother, but if you want to use it for bass it is essential IMHO

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

so did you just follow the instructions on the modz page?

Bass Boost - I found this mods on a schematic. Its not tested but should work: basically it just lowers the bass cutoff by one octave.

For Bass Boost: change C21 and C20 from .01uF to .1uF

braw

Post by braw »

That's all it is. Just replace two caps with higher values.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

would making the modswitchable be a pain in the ass for the guy building mine? :)

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

the hardest part would be sourcing a good-looking switch and drilling the case to install it. Otherwise you'd just need to wire from the pads to the switch to the caps to the pads... Not sure about one switch for multiple circuits though; I know they make multi-pole switches which would I think do the job. Will need to look into this as I'd had the same idea.

leetenant

Post by leetenant »

Just get an analog mixer with midsweeps and/ or a outboard compressor.

Post by Guest »

Is there any difference to the sound other than how it sounds when boosting the bass like you would in a mixer?

maxtim

Post by maxtim »

Anonymous wrote:Is there any difference to the sound other than how it sounds when boosting the bass like you would in a mixer?
The sound source is the x0xb0x, so boosting the base with an Eq. (generally not a pleasing result anyway) will only boost what the x0xb0x is generating.

Once this mod is performed, the x0xb0x will now produce lower frequncies. These frequncies can be easily cut using an Eq (better sounding than boosting frequncies).

Post by Guest »

Cool, like to get some subsonics in the mix without muddying up the mix i guess. Doing it tomorrow!

Post by Guest »

I have done it to two of my 3 303's and my xox and consider it essential for using it as a bass machine, for trebly acid it is just a case of cutting back the low eq. As mentioned before adding bass with eq to an unmodded machine will NOT give the same presence as doing the mod. This mod coupled with the lower cutoff range mod can lead to some serious bass especially on accented notes.

FWIW I would not bother to make it switchable as it is easy to roll off the bass on your desk.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”