x0xb0x with custom 303-style enclosure... SE bassline.

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alex_dubinsky

Re: x0xb0x with custom 303-style enclosure... SE bassline.

Post by alex_dubinsky »

I get a 404 :(

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

alex_dubinsky wrote:I get a 404 :(
Sorry, just updated the site. I removed all "TB-303" or other potential Roland trademark items.

cheers
ripe

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

I totaled up the cost for just a case (complete silk screened top, bottom, sides, front and rear) and it would run about $350, the knobs would be about $75. Also note that since the case has large holes for the knobs, the standard x0xb0x knobs wouldn't really work.

The other parts such as PCB standoffs, LED standoffs, waveform switch, etc could be sourced independently.

The modifications that need to be made would be putting all of the switches on a riser (I used some plastic squares) and bending the switch legs so they are longer. Then you would also need to replace all of the LED risers so they sit higher. The waveform switch should also be replaced, I used a different model from the same company that was a bit taller. If you don't raise all of the components, the knobs will sit about 3mm higher on the case and look a bit strange. I think someone else used the same type of knob before, and they sit very high.

Also, the boards sit right on top of each other in the case, so you need to make sure that the large caps in the power supply can nest in right where the LA4140 is on the main board. This also means there no room in the back to add any mods, although there is plenty of space towards the front of the case.

Once the case is assembled, I seal the edges so it feels more solid, otherwise you get a little rattle from the panels.

cheers
ripe

eil

Post by eil »

ripe909 wrote:
alex_dubinsky wrote:I get a 404 :(
Sorry, just updated the site. I removed all "TB-303" or other potential Roland trademark items.

cheers
ripe
I'm guessing Roland sent you a warning or notice?

If I were you, I'd name it SE-303 or similar and keep the "Computer Controlled" bit. That was always my favorite 303 styling element. It harks back to times when computers were pretty much science fiction as far as the general public was concerned.

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

No, they didn't send any notice, I am just respecting their trademark.

I have actually inquired to Roland legal to see what the stance is on hobbyist clones, but I'm sure I will get the standard "vigorous enforcement of trademark", or maybe I'll be surprised, lol.
Either way I'm not a lawyer and I don't want to need one!

cheers
ripe

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

I really don't see a problem here. They have to know that with the popularity of that machine, something like this was bound to happen. They're not losing any money, that's for sure.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

I see the nice job ripe did here and I know that the Acidlab guy also uses the schaeffer side profile encosures and I did a quick fit check and rendered an enclosure for the full x0xi0 package. This is crude but this is basically what it would look like...

these cases are very expensive though.
Last edited by bcbox on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

wow, looks nice!

Yeah, the cases get very expensive, I can imagine with all the holes needed that the price goes through the roof.

cheers
ripe

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

...another problem I've had with front panel express before is that they used pre-anodized sheets, so after you cut the panels and the holes and stuff the bare aluminum is visible in cutouts and panel edges. It works ok if the enclosure is silver in color but otherwise you need to do a proper paint job or powder coating.
I have a lot of contacts for sheet meetal workers though my day job but only the rapid prototyping houses will even touch the small quantities and their prices are even more.

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

Yeah, I have to sand the edges of the front and rear panels of my enclosure so that they look nice. The panels come with tooling marks on them that make them look rough. FPE offers to "finish" them for $3 a panel... umm, no thanks.

Regarding the quantity/price, that is exactly what people should understand with a nicely finished custom case. I've had a few people tell me that they could do the same thing so much cheaper, but unless you have your own equipment, or a good friend that does, it is not going to be possible in small quantities.

I looked at powder coating and it's possible to get it done, usually, at the same place that handles silk screening.

cheers
ripe

katarakt

Post by katarakt »

This is by far the greatest looking x0x ever!!! Absolutely brilliant :shock: !!! ...my silver x0x project really sucks against this one, but, the silver switch caps are looking very nice, i think these are the stock ones from digikey in grey?

reboot

Post by reboot »

sorry but a real tb is around 1000 euros.......so a xoxbox with a nice box for 1500 usd...?????

... the bcbox mod can worth 1500 because is really usefull

it makes me think about people buying a cellular phone with diamonds.....it's just a cellular phone...

will you make better or more music with a nice looking machine ?

the machine is still beautiful

katarakt

Post by katarakt »

If you can get a 303 in good shape for 1000,- than get it. Price here is up to 1700,- EUR or more!

ripe909

Post by ripe909 »

To some people it may be worth it, to others, it may not. For me the "experience" of the synthesizer, look, feel *and* sound is important. The color, the feel of a metal case, the weight, all impact how creative I am while using it, however silly that may seem.

I have authentic 303s, but I feel that the x0x is superior in almost every respect, except the aesthetics, which is why I built a small number of these "boutique" x0xb0x.

For people who do not think it is important, then there are other options. I suppose you could even build a x0xb0x into a cookie tin, if you want to save the $36 USD it costs for the standard case.

Oh, and if you do find 303s for 1000 euro, you should stock up!

cheers
ripe

kroffe

Post by kroffe »

"Final run of SE BassLine x0x available"
http://matrixsynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2431#2431

Expensive, but maybe the next best thing to a real 303... :roll:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”