Aluminum Enclosures started, need group think

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
altitude

Aluminum Enclosures started, need group think

Post by altitude »

Ok, so I am getting ready to machine the aluminum box and could use some group think.

The enclosure is based on 2" base 1" high 7073 Al U bar which is about as shallow I can go and still have the boards fit. I have yet to try recessing the orginal front panel so it sits flush but will probably implement that feature on one of the prototypes (i have enough material for two boxes) other wise the top panel will just sit on the top face.

I have two options for holding this toghether: Braze and mechanical fasten or all mechanically fastened.

Brazing would fill the seams but would be a pain to finish (lots of grinding). I was thinking using an epoxy coating followed by paint or possibly sending it out for powder coating (which I would only do if I sold a number of these). Either way, the bottom end piece will need to be fastened since the box is a tight fit (10"x7.5"X2") and there needs to be access to the inside

Mechanically fastening would be way less work since i can buff everything to a nice finish and just clear coat it but the seams would remain. The orginal front panel does cover a good portion of the front (about 3/8" on the sides, more on the top and bottom) so it is kinda hard to guage how it will look.

The nice part about this design is that there is some freedom of how much room remains at the top so there is space for another row of pots and switches.

experimental

Post by experimental »

I have been working on one as well-

If you would like i could send you some of my ideas on CAD-

Let me know-

I am just about ready to build a prototype out of wood-

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”