TB-x0x

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
phono

TB-x0x

Post by phono »

Here's what i've been secretly brewing up over the past month :mrgreen:

Right here's the details in case any of you want to do one of these,

The panel overlays were put together by myself and Jeff at custom synth, if you want one, just visit http://www.customsynth.co.uk drop Jeff an email and ask him for "Phono's x0xb0x overlay". I'm more than happy if people want to get these printed up (as im sure Jeff is haha). The cost is £25 per panel overlay and that includes a rear panel overlay also.

The Grey switchcaps came from Jerwin and cost $27.50 including shipping for 50 (i grabbed a few extras, you only really need 23 per x0x) http://www.ableideas.com/x0xb0x/

The Knobs all came from http://www.BANNED-int.com and cost me 581 swedish kronor for two sets including shipping (thats approx $72 at time of writing this)

notes: the selector knobs i had to bore out a little since they didnt fit the greyhill encoders at all (i also had to trim a few mm off the top of the greyhills)
I also had to grind some off the tempo knobs, they are the same knobs as the volume but since the tempo encoder has a shorter shaft these knobs wouldnt attach. I may actually eventually grind the volume ones down and trim the volume shaft to make it more uniform.

Here's the part numbers for the knobs

bank/mode select (Aluminium T-handle button) Product ID 183770-62
cutoff/res etc (High-quality metal knob) Product ID 184077-I5
tempo/volume (High-quality metal knob) Product ID 184091-I5

if any of you do this "mod" post up some pics so we can all see

eil

Re: TB-x0x

Post by eil »

Very nicely done. Those knobs look sharp, but I think I would have painted the case as well.

What do you think of the overlays? I ordered a couple of similar overlays from customsynth a few months ago and wasn't much impressed considering what I paid for them. The text wasn't as sharp as I would have liked and (more importantly) the holes wouldn't line up at all with the panel. I had to scrape out some overlap with a knife on most of the LED holes and the result looks less than professional.

Anywhere else I can get decent overlays? I would have tried Jerwin's store thingy but he's apparently dropped off the face of the earth and I have a couple more x0xes to build for people.

phono

Post by phono »

eil wrote:Very nicely done. Those knobs look sharp, but I think I would have painted the case as well.

What do you think of the overlays? I ordered a couple of similar overlays from customsynth a few months ago and wasn't much impressed considering what I paid for them. The text wasn't as sharp as I would have liked and (more importantly) the holes wouldn't line up at all with the panel. I had to scrape out some overlap with a knife on most of the LED holes and the result looks less than professional.

Anywhere else I can get decent overlays? I would have tried Jerwin's store thingy but he's apparently dropped off the face of the earth and I have a couple more x0xes to build for people.
i didnt paint the case yet, i may get it done but if so i'll get it done at a car spray shop to get a really nice job of it, its not a high priority though since one of them is in the flight case it makes little difference really. If you glance at it it almost looks smaller in there where the black plastic meets the foam.

The text on these panels is plenty sharp, as for the line up, i lined up the 16 step leds when putting it on, there was a little (1mm) rise on the switches but tbh you dont notice it because its silver on silver there, i'm actually very happy with the overlays and all the extra work Jeff did on helping me visualise my ideas. If the line up is a concern you can get them uncut and cut yourself once the overlay is stuck down, its not really that big a deal with this design.

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

He didn't have those designs when i got one from him.

phono

Post by phono »

Computer Controlled wrote:He didn't have those designs when i got one from him.
he wouldnt have since its a brand new design between us, he took one existing one he had and changed the bits i asked for, ie adding the logos and the selector parts, moving the knob text above, adding the lines etc

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

phono wrote:
eil wrote:Very nicely done. Those knobs look sharp, but I think I would have painted the case as well.

i didnt paint the case yet, i may get it done but if so i'll get it done at a car spray shop to get a really nice job of it, its not a high priority though since one of them is in the flight case it makes little difference really. If you glance at it it almost looks smaller in there where the black plastic meets the foam.
those black cases look nice

the silver-painted ones are getting a bit gimmicky

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

That's really nice!

But I agree on keeping the cases black, looks much better. :)

GoldDope

Post by GoldDope »

Very nice indeedey Phono,they look realy slick ;)

katarakt

Post by katarakt »

mome rath wrote:those black cases look nice

the silver-painted ones are getting a bit gimmicky
Do you think so? I love my silver cases but i agree with the silver krylon color, this is not the same as silver metallic from a vw car :)

GoldDope

Post by GoldDope »

I think you should use a glow in the dark case :)

resonator

Post by resonator »

nice job. looks awesome!

osku

Post by osku »

Excellent!

--Oskari

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”