Another Error "Failed to find any MIDIsense Boards"

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gaarie

Post by gaarie »

YAY! It incorporates perfectly with FL Studio 7 XXL Producer Edition.

Also, you just reached your 1337th post! w00tage!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ZOMG!

guess_whoǃ

Post by guess_whoǃ »

gaarie

Post by gaarie »

Haha, nice. So... Just keeping you guys updated. I am using Kinetic 2 right now to assign voices to the peizo. I set it to a note on/off and it works just like a normal switch, without velocity. I am going to go through all of the settings and see if I can find one. Just tell me now if it is not possible.

The controller is a bit spotty. It stops sending information after a few minutes of inactivity. The only way to re-enable it is to reset it to factory settings.

I had an idea for a way to detect velocity of a peizo. It involves the use of middleman software, and I do not have the skills to develop it, but if anyone out there has them, feel free to rip my idea, just let me know. It may already be possible with midiox, but I have not explored it enough to tell. Here is my idea.

Since I can see velocity while calibrating, it makes me think that the controller is sending information about velocity, but the MIDIsense software may not have the capability to decode it. Let's look at midi signals of velocity in terms of percentage. Say that if we touch the peizo very lightly, we are getting an input from the controller of 10%. I know that it does not send the information in terms of percentage, but let's pretend. How about we take that information and with software split it into many different virtual midi inputs. For example, right now in Kinetic, I have assigned a Tom sound to my peizo, but with the fabled software, we can intercept that signal and split it into many different signals according to how much percentage of velocity is being applied. With the middleman software running, we could take Switch #1, 1%-12% and assign it a midi on/off. then we could take Switch #1, 13%-24% and assign it another midi on/off. We continue this process with each switch so that we only have 6 physical switch inputs from the MIDIsense, but the computer sees about 40 virtual inputs. With this in mind, we could take Switch #1, 1%-12% and assign a very quiet sound sample of a Tom. Next, we take Switch #1, 13%-24% and assign a slightly louder sample of the same Tom. With Switch #4, 1%-12%, we could assign a quiet cymbal. Then Switch #4, 84%-100% would be a..... very loud cymbal.

Is this already possible? Am I dreaming to much? Did I even make sense? haha. tell me what you think.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

gaarie wrote:
The controller is a bit spotty. It stops sending information after a few minutes of inactivity. The only way to re-enable it is to reset it to factory settings.
when you connect to it after "it stops sending info" is the sensor "deactivated?" (is the checkbox suddenly not checked?)
also, when the sensor "stops sending info" do you not see any green lights flickering?

gaarie

Post by gaarie »

I can still connect to it just fine. It says it is connected in the software but the green light is not flashing and it does not output anything. It seems that the sensor boxes are cleared, yes. Sometimes it works for a long time and other times it only works for a minute. The sensors also reset themselves to nothing every time I exit the MIDIsense software. but they still function. They also do not move the main sensor slider in the software whether it is a simple switch or a peizo. I can't figure that out because in the flash video of the light sensor you used, it moved the main slider. It calibrates fine.

Now I have two peizos plugged in. The first is set to Note On/Off, with a note of 64. It works fine in Kinetic and FL. When I plug in the second and assign it a note of 127, it doesn't do anything, even when channel 2 is selected in FL or Kinetic. It seems multiple switches aren't working too well.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

and you're running v1.2 firmware? does your software send sysex messages to the midisense? please try running the midisense without midi-in, to verify that its not getting freaky messages. its not necessary really, when not being calibrated. when running it without midi-in plugged, does it still suddenly stop?

also, is your power-in good quality? fresh battery or, preferrably, 7-12VDC plug

also, again, i dont know about using piezos. the board is not designed for piezo sensors, and they could be messing up the board, possibly confusing the chip enough to cause it to reset itself....
which piezo, specifically, are you using?

gaarie

Post by gaarie »

I am running v1.2 fw. yes, it still works with the midi in unplugged.

I am using a 12VDC wall plug from an old lynksis router. I understand it is not made for peizos. I was hoping I may be able to experiment though. It's going pretty well. I will try two normal switches and see if I get the same results. I am using a ratshack peizo. More specifically, the product id# 273-073.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

gaarie wrote:I am running v1.2 fw. yes, it still works with the midi in unplugged.
do you mean it is or isnt suddenly stopping to send data :) ive never had this problem recently so im pretty curious why it suddenly stops!
I am using a 12VDC wall plug from an old lynksis router. I understand it is not made for peizos. I was hoping I may be able to experiment though. It's going pretty well. I will try two normal switches and see if I get the same results. I am using a ratshack peizo. More specifically, the product id# 273-073.
OK cool. let me look into it, i should be able to come up with an idea that will get you good performance...but if its for experimentation and you're getting experimental stuff working then i guess its a success ;)

gaarie

Post by gaarie »

It seems to change. But right now, the power is turned on. The power LED is on, the midi activity LED is not on unless I press piezo #1 (even though I originally turned on stream), and piezo #2 seems to do nothing. The MIDIsense software is running but the boxes are unchecked and the sensor field is greyed out. I have FL Studio open and the first sensor does trigger whatever instrument I have selected. The second sensor does nothing.

I'm not quite sure that it does work. It definitely does not transmit any velocity data at all. Then again, I have only tried the Note On/Off option.

If you do experiment with the 273-073's, keep in mind that they work a lot better if they are carefully removed from the case.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

oh with note on/off you cant stream because its hysteresis-based. youll need to switch to a different kind of control message to get constant updates

gaarie

Post by gaarie »

Alright. I will experiment with others. That is a useful peice of information. Again, thanks for your time. But do you have any idea as to why it is not allowing any more sensors but the first to work?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do you have the same matching resistors?

gaarie

Post by gaarie »

I think I asked about this before. I am not using any resistors. I have no idea how to find out what resistance I need.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thats your problem. you need a resistor for each sensor. i dont know what value either. try a couple.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”