MIDIsense Resistive - no response to sensor

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GBaz

MIDIsense Resistive - no response to sensor

Post by GBaz »

Hi,
I successfully built the MIDIsense resistive board. I am able to connect to the software. The green led flashes and the MIDIsport UNO receives midi data. I can configure the sensors (i see the red led flash)
I am using the included photo sensor with the included 1k resistor. When i go to calibrate the sensor the bar does not move. i am using a green laser and flashing it on and off but get no response displayed in the software.
I have tested the photo resistor. With little to no light the resistance is 300-500k. When lit with the laser dead on it reads 1.4k. Measurements have been taken with a fluke 289

I don’t think this should make a difference but I soldered the 1k resistor directly to the sensor and used a jumper on the board where the resitor goes. This way I don’t have to deal with desoldering the board to change out a sensor. I am connecting the lead with the resistor to the right pin of each terminal (the one the connects to where the resistor jumper is.) I also used sockets with the 3 chips in additon to the included one.

Any input would be great. I tired to provide all information but if you need more please ask. Thanks.

GBaz

Post by GBaz »

I just checked the open voltage at the sensor. i have a jumper ar R106 so there is no resisot in place. voltage is 0.45. With the photo sensor and 1k resitor (metered above the resitor) voltage is 0.4-0.45 with low light and 0.09v with laser light.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i hope you mean "10K" not 1K resistor

GBaz

Post by GBaz »

yes sorry 10k

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

those voltages are way too low, try a larger resistor, like 100k

GBaz

Post by GBaz »

0.45 volts is the voltage on the sensor without a resistor! I put a bridge wire at R105 and R106. I am measureing for the terminals of the connecter. When I measure before R10 i get 5.04 volts if i meter after it I get 0.45v. The resistor is gold/orange/black/brown 10 Kohms, +/-5%.

GBaz

Post by GBaz »

Ok im an idiot. It seems I only got 1 10k resistor and was using a 1k by mistake. I got it working using a 10k linear-taper potentiometer. Sorry for wasting your time.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”