IR toast?

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jim

IR toast?

Post by jim »

i got my ADio kit, checked the parts list, built it up, got the usb/midi cable,
the MacOSX-MIDIsense-v1-1.dmg software found the board, but not my sharp IR chumpy.

after reading some of the forum, i realized i may have connected the sharp IR incorrectly.

nym writes, "say we're putting a sensor into analog 1. from the RIGHT to LEFT, it goes OUT, IN, GROUND, as per silkscreen, correct?"

not understanding the mention of the silkscreen, and orienting my board upside down, i think i reversed the 5v and the ground. Later realizing my mistake, i tried it the other way around to no avail.

nym describes "the heatsink is HOT, and the infrared sensor is HOT HOT HOT." , yet success was eventual, so when mine got hot, i tried not to worry. It does not get hot now that it is correctly connected and or fried.

the parts list did not show a sensor quick start pot so i did not miss it till now that i am worried that i smoked the IR and may be sensor less.

i smoked a couple slider pots last week guessing which terminals did what, so it would not be the first time.

is the IR toast?

jim

jim

Post by jim »

maybe this is my first chance to use my new volt meter

jim

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yeah it sounds like you toasted it
you may want to check the sensors page such as this one
http://ladyada.net/make/midisense/distancesensors.html
as this sort of thing is often mentioned

jim

Post by jim »

i am going to practice on Linear rotational potentiometers from Radio Shack.

do rotational pots sound noisy with age when used as an analog input opposed to as a digital input?

the excitement from getting to build my own midi controller adds noise to my judgment and caution circuits.

my volt meter has a fuse and i will learn how to use it!

jim

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

uhm, i dont know where you see that pots can be used as digital inputs. does it say that on the sensors page?

jim

Post by jim »

i am getting my terms confused, and should get them right before i post comments.

i toasted the slide pots on an arduino board i got at a "microcontrollers for artists and makers" class at thehacktory.org a couple weeks ago.

Linear rotational potentiometer, is what i meant to say i was going to use with the midisense ADio.

i just got back from an open house at thehacktory where i got the radio shack rotational potentiometer calibrated on the ADio board!
also help porting the program of the minipov's test_leds to the arduino,
also help learning to use my multimeter, (not only a voltmeter).

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

cool :)

jim

Post by jim »

please pardon my badly worded question about noisy pots including their impossible use as digital inputs.

my failure of fact check editing

jim

Post by jim »

actually my sensor roast seems to have only reduced my short range object detection sensitivity. i am glad i kept it.

of course the new IR sensors i am comparing it with have a different batch number, (from a different supplier).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”