Problem charging Kodak Playsport Zx3

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gairym

Problem charging Kodak Playsport Zx3

Post by gairym »

Howdy,

I've just (this afternoon) finished making my MintyBoost kit and it works (with my iPod) but not with my Kodak Playsport Zx3.

There are two ways it tells you if/when it's charging - when it's turned on there's an on-screen indicator and if it's off there's a light that comes on.

Both of these indicators tell me that it's charging but.....when, eventually, the light went off (which means it's fully charged) the battery was empty (when I turned it on the low-battery indicator flashed for a few seconds before it turned itself off again).

Any ideas....?

I've checked everything I can think of the check (i.e. it's put together correctly and passes all of the voltage tests etc...).

Also, this is my first electronics project in MANY years and so please speak to me like I'm an idiot (i.e. no techno-speak - I simply won't understand you).

Thanks in advance for any/all help and advice.

Cheers, Gairy.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Problem charging Kodak Playsport Zx3

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not familiar with the Kodak Playsport. What are the specification on the charger that came with it?

Some devices try to draw more power from the MintyBoost than it is capable of delivering. When that happens, most devices will just stop charging. But some will actually start discharging. It sounds like that might be happening with yours.

gairym

Post by gairym »

Hi,

It didn't come with a 'charger' - just a USB cable (which has an adaptor so that it can also plug it into the mains).

Here's the info on the battery:
KODAK Li-Ion Rechargeable Digital Camera Battery KLIC-7004
And.....here's a link to the product on the Kodak website (so that you can see if there's any more info that might help you figure out the problem:

Kodak 'Playsport Zx3'

Thanks, Gairy.

adafruit_support_bill

It didn't come with a 'charger' - just a USB cable (which has an adaptor so that it can also plug it into the mains).
That adapter would be the charger. Does it have any specifications for current?

Make sure you have good quality batteries in the MintyBoost. (see battery recommendations here) Other than that, it would be difficult to diagnose the problem without dissecting the charger.

gairym

Post by gairym »

adafruit_support wrote:That adapter would be the charger. Does it have any specifications for current?
Ok, after taking a closer look at it - here's what it says:

Kodak Adapter K20-EC
Input: 100-240V~50/80Hz Max 0.2A
Output: 5V=1.0A

And.....there's a car/mains charger for the batteries (without using the USB cable) which I hadn't noticed before which reads:

Digital Charger
Input Voltage: AC 100-240V 50-60Hz
Output Voltage: DC 4.2V=600mA

(for both of the above the symbol isn't a normal = sign but has the lower line as 3 dashes).

Does this help you at all to understand the problem (as it means nothing to me!)?

Also, the batteries I used were two brand new (and unused) Duracell batteries and so that shouldn't be part of the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Gairy.

*Edit*

Something else I just thought to mention. When the MintyBoost is plugged into the Zx3 it stays on with zero battery charge and so the MintyBoost is providing enough power to run the thing but just isn't charging the batteries (with it either on or off).

adafruit_support_bill

The Mintyboost can only put out 500mA. It looks like your device is expecting 600-1000mA.

gairym

Post by gairym »

adafruit_support wrote:The Mintyboost can only put out 500mA. It looks like your device is expecting 600-1000mA.
Ahhh, that'll explain it then!

Is there anything I can do, adapt, change to increase the output?

An extra AA battery? Different batteries? Different components?

Any other suggestions in order to get my Kodak charged when only standard batteries are available?

Any/all help appreciated.

Gairy.

adafruit_support_bill

Changing components would involve a complete redesign.

You might be able to squeeze a little more out of it with by going with more cells. Check this page for your options: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/power.html

gairym

Post by gairym »

Ok, thanks for your help anyway - seems it's just not going to cut it.

I've got one final question for you.

Would the MintyBoost charge a PortaPow USB Battery Pack which could then, in turn, charge the Kodak Playsport Zx3?

The output for the PortaPow USB Battery Pack is stated as being:
Specifications
Size: 100x62x15mm (similar to a cassette tape)
Weight: 120g
Capacity: 3400mAh (12.58Wh)
Charging efficiency > 95%
Charges in 5 hours
Can be recharged approx 500 times
60% pre-charged and ready to use
upto 850mA Current output
They sell a solar charger (PortaPow 2W Solar Charger) which is claimed to be able to charge the battery pack and it's output specs are:
Specifications
Size: 130x120x20mm
Weight: 130g
Panel: 2W (5V 400mA) Monocrystalline
So.....by my (uneducated) estimation coupling the MintyBoost and the PortaPow USB Battery Pack I should be able to charge the Kodak - no?

Is there a flaw in my logic?

Is the MintyBoost simply not powerful enough and should I consider a Solar (slow but steady) option?

Gairy.

adafruit_support_bill

So.....by my (uneducated) estimation coupling the MintyBoost and the PortaPow USB Battery Pack I should be able to charge the Kodak - no?
Possibly. The problem here is that we don't know what kind of charge rate the PortaPow expects.

The USB standard for device charging was 500mA and the MintyBoost will charge most devices that stick to that standard. But people wanted faster charging, so various manufacturers came up with ways to figure out if more power is available and take advantage of it. Unfortunately, many of these devices hit the market before there were any standards established for how such a detection system should work, so these devices may not work with anything other than their proprietary chargers.

gairym

Post by gairym »

ok, thanks for taking the time to help a poor ludditte out - very much appreciated.

cheers, gairy.

Blinky213

Post by Blinky213 »

I have a Kodak Zi8 got it because it would do 720p/60 fps (1280 × 720, 60 fps) for better slowmo. The .mov files work in Kinovea, though they kind of playback slow. This might mean I need a faster processor (I just have a 2ghz) do to the HD format but they play ok outside of kinovea though.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”