using MB to power powered USB hub

by lowky on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:31 am

I was wondering if the Minty Boost could be used to power a powered USB hub? My thought was to take a 4 port powered usb hub and use something like minty boost to provide the power instead of external power cord. maybe use a full size mint tin rather than the gum tin to contain everything. I am very very new to this sort of thing. just looking for a solution to eliminate a need for wall wart/powercord, especially when wanting to briefly powerup something like external drive that requires powered hub for quick download at wifi hotspot or that sort of thing. If you have a better idea that's appreciated too. I looked on google but didn't really see anything on powering the hub that way.
lowky

Re: using MB to power powered USB hub

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:17 am

It can, as long as the total current draw of the devices you plan to connect (including the hub itself) doesn't exceed the capacity of the MintyBoost (~500mA). A standard USB port will supply up to 500mA, so this would not give you any more capacity than an unpowered hub.
adafruit_support_bill

by lowky on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:14 pm

adafruit_support wrote:It can, as long as the total current draw of the devices you plan to connect (including the hub itself) doesn't exceed the capacity of the MintyBoost (~500mA). A standard USB port will supply up to 500mA, so this would not give you any more capacity than an unpowered hub.

Thank you for the help, doesn't quite cover what I am looking for, wanting to take something like a belkin powered 4 usb hub (one of the smallest i've seen) and instead of powering it by ac wall wart, power it by batteries, for when you are in a public place (or outdoors) and want to use your powered hub, but don't have access to plug it in. I realize it's only a short term solution so would need to use rechargeables for this, but...

My portable drive demands it's own dedicated usb port, and my laptop only has two, trying to find a way to expand my usb options without having to drag along a power strip extra cords etc.
lowky

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 pm

What are the power requirements of the hub? You may be able to power it with just a straight battery pack.
adafruit_support_bill

by lowky on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm

adafruit_support wrote:What are the power requirements of the hub? You may be able to power it with just a straight battery pack.

will have to check into it, as I haven't purchased one yet, as i was trying to see if this was feasible first. will try to find out and post info.

*update* of course belkin doesn't list this on their website/product description, so I have sen't an email to support asking them, may not hear back until monday.
lowky

by lowky on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:45 am

5v input 500mA max output in powered mode
lowky

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:28 am

I'm guessing they mean 500mA max per-port. Otherwise, there would be no advantage to it being 'powered'.

You could make a cheap portable 5v supply using a 6v battery pack (4xAA) and a low-dropout regulator.
adafruit_support_bill

by lowky on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 pm

adafruit_support wrote:I'm guessing they mean 500mA max per-port. Otherwise, there would be no advantage to it being 'powered'.

You could make a cheap portable 5v supply using a 6v battery pack (4xAA) and a low-dropout regulator.

thanks for the information
lowky