Li-ion battery from old cell phone - Solar Mintyboost

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MagnificentDax

Li-ion battery from old cell phone - Solar Mintyboost

Post by MagnificentDax »

I would like to put together a solar mintyboost (i've done 1 regular mintyboost). I just upgraded my cell phone from an HTC Incredible to the Samsung Galaxy s3. In doing that I have a left over Li-ion extended battery from the Incredible. listed on the back as 3.7vDC 2150mAh (model BTE6300B). It has 3 contacts on the end, and I'd like to get some advice of using this battery (very low usage) as the storage for a Solarboost project? I really don't want it burning up or blowing up as I've heard they can do if done improperly. I'm an extreme novice, the 1st minty was my first soldering project. I just don't know how to go about deciding how to add this battery to my project safely. I'd like to use this rather than just recycle it. Any Ideas?
Dax

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Li-ion battery from old cell phone - Solar Mintyboost

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you search the net, you may find a spec sheet for that cell or a compatible replacement. The third contact may be a thermistor to monitor pack temperature when charging. Other things to look for are a protection circuit to limit discharge to safe levels. Not all cells have these built in. The Solar charger will protect against over-charge, but it can prevent over-discharge.

john444

Post by john444 »

Hi Mag,

A little typo in Adafruit's response:
adafruit_support wrote:The Solar charger will protect against over-charge, but it can prevent over-discharge.
Should be:
"The Solar charger will protect against over-charge, but it can not prevent over-discharge."

John

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks John. That is correct :)

MagnificentDax

Post by MagnificentDax »

Thanks for the response, I did do a little checking and found similar replacement batteries, but was not looking specifically for protection circuits. I'll try again. What I get is that if it does have this circuit than it should be a viable solution. Thanks again for the advice.
Dax.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”