iPhone 5 and Mintyboost - compatible!

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pfriedel

iPhone 5 and Mintyboost - compatible!

Post by pfriedel »

Because I hadn't seen anyone else reporting on it (too much google clutter against iOS 5, chiefly) - the MintyBoost still works with the iPhone 5. It doesn't seem like Apple monkeyed around with the requirements this time, the Lightning cable doesn't have so much overhead that it doesn't work, etc. I plugged it in and it immediately started charging.

So, y'know. Yay.

adafruit

Re: iPhone 5 and Mintyboost - compatible!

Post by adafruit »

pfriedel wrote:Because I hadn't seen anyone else reporting on it (too much google clutter against iOS 5, chiefly) - the MintyBoost still works with the iPhone 5. It doesn't seem like Apple monkeyed around with the requirements this time, the Lightning cable doesn't have so much overhead that it doesn't work, etc. I plugged it in and it immediately started charging.

So, y'know. Yay.
thank you, please email [email protected] so we can give you a prize :)

sbyers77

Post by sbyers77 »

Another iPhone 5 owner here. I have a Mintyboost V2.0 that I modified to present 2.0V on the USB data lines with a simple external voltage divider circuit.

I can confirm that the Mintyboost does indeed work with the iPhone 5.

Whatever Apple changed with Lightning connector its all on the cable side. It seems all the same charger rules that applied to the 4/4s also apply to the 5. My Chinese clone iPhone 4 charger also works with the iPhone 5.

jerryk

Post by jerryk »

I've recently built two MintyBoosts. Both have successfully charged my iPhone 5 for the first 1-2 hours of use, but then I get the dreaded error, "Charging is not supported with this accessory". During this initial charging, the batteries get warm, but not hot. When I subsequently try to charge, I almost immediately get the error message.

A photo of the MintyBoost charging is at: https://mobile.twitter.com/jerryknaus/s ... 409/photos
It started charging at about 32%, and stopped at about 50%.

I've tried Duracell Coppertop batteries (not Super Power) and Duracell rechargeables both with similar results. Per the installation instructions, the voltage measurements between the two outer pins was 4.94 volts, and between the rightmost pin and the second and third pins the voltage was 1.91 volts for both pins. These voltages were the same for both MintyBoosts.

Have any iPhone 5 users experienced similar results? Have you had different results with different batteries? Comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!

jerryk

Post by jerryk »

Sorry for posting before I read all the FAQs and other forum posts. It sounds like increasing the iPhone 5 charge by 20 percentage points is to be expected for a pair of AAs. I can live with that, but I still wonder if that is what others are experiencing. Thanks!

JD3

Post by JD3 »

I am getting about the same.

I don't use alkaline batteries. The higher internal resistance makes them act like resistors and they heat up.
I have the same problem with Energizer industrial and other types of alkalines.
In an emergency? Okay use them.

You definitely want to use Eneloop or another brand of NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries.
They are meant for high drain devices. And they are rechargeable.

jerryk

Post by jerryk »

Thanks, JD3!

ewart

Post by ewart »

Hi there, I've just put together a minty boost v3.0. It charges my bluetooth headset and can power the ardunio uno kit. But I'm having no luck with iphone 5. Nothing happens when its plugged in. I'm just wondering for those of you that it worked for, did you solder the middle 2 usb pins together? Thanks in advance!

jerryk

Post by jerryk »

ewert - I didn't solder 2 and 3 together. What voltages did you measure across the pins?

ewart

Post by ewart »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I measured 4.98 between the pin 1 and 4,
1.9 between the 3 and 4.

I'm getting 4.98 between 2 and 4 as well. This might be the problem, I don't know what would be causing it though

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

@ewart - post photos of the front & back of your board. Sounds like a bad solder connection somewhere.

JD3

Post by JD3 »

Should be seeing 1.9v on both middle pins.

Might have a solder bridge somewhere.
Last edited by JD3 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewart

Post by ewart »

Thanks guys, here are the pics (topside one is a little blurry i know).
Let me know if you guys notice any problems.
Attachments
Top side
Top side
IMG_0090.jpg (742.74 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Backside
Backside
IMG_0089.jpg (887.06 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

ewart

Post by ewart »

you guys are right about the soldering bridge. I re-soldered two points that were close and the voltage is now correct. Iphone 5 is charging! thanks for the tips and happy new year!

jke

Post by jke »

I would just like to verify if the Mintyboost is able to boost the iPhone 5 beyond anything like 20% or until this "device not supported" message comes up.

I am asking as I've recently built a few Mintyboosts for my friends and one of them is now complaining that it won't charge his iPhone 5. And all I've read up on the forum and the FAQs so far is a mixture between "yes, it works" and "you'll have to bridge pin 2+3 on the usb".

So here are my questions:
- does it really work for an iPhone 5?
- does it charge the iPhone 5 for more than 20%?
- do I need to bridge pin 2+3 on the usb socket?
- if yes, would it make sense to a) install a switch for the bridge (so that it may continue charging iPhone 4/S) or b) use an external USB adapter that shortens both pins externally?
- does it only depend on the quality of the (rechargable) batteries, e.g. >2400mAh?

Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”