Micro USB Mod

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tmoore

Micro USB Mod

Post by tmoore »

I want to mod my MB's by omitting the female USB plug and direct soldering a short micro USB cable to the board. It would allow me to keep the cable in the case and not require a seperate cable. Is this possible, and if not, is there a work around?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Micro USB Mod

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is certainly possible. Just double-check your cable pinouts to make sure you have power & ground on the right pins.

tmoore

Post by tmoore »

I just tried a micro USB cable soldered directly to the board, with the proper wiring, (from left to right with USB side of board facing you ... pin 1 red V, pin 2 white data -, pin 3 green data +, pin 4 black ground) but could not charge with it. All voltage readings are correct as per MB project page. Same for the micro USB plug. All good. I tried the data -/+ shorted and open, but had no luck. I removed the plug and installed the USB jack, and it works like a champ. I have checked continuity on the cable, while soldered to the board, and after removed from the board, and all the wires are good.

Oh, I tried charging a Razr, a Razr Maxx, and a Droid X. All 3 will charge with the jack on the board, but none will charge with the cable on the board.

Is my wiring wrong? Any ideas?

adafruit_support_bill

Double check the connections all the way through to the connector. Wire color-coding is not standardized and manufacturers don't always follow standard conventions.

And make sure it is a good quality cable. Voltage drop over long and/or thin wires can stop some devices from charging.

tmoore

Post by tmoore »

Yes, I checked all the way through to the connector, and it was good. But, I do remember, I bought this cable specifically to use the micro end only, and I didn't try it as a complete cable prior to cutting it. So, I think I'll try another one, first as a complete cable, to be sure it will work, then solder it to the board and try again. Thank you!

tmoore

Post by tmoore »

Finally had time to try other cables today, and it was as you said, not all of them follow the standards. I tried 3 others and all of them worked. I also tried another of the brand I had trouble with, and yes, it too, did not work. Sadly, it cost $1 more than each of the others. Go figure.
Thank you so much, for your help!

adafruit_support_bill

Sadly, it cost $1 more than each of the others. Go figure.
Usually you get what you pay for. But I guess that is not always true. If you can tell us the brand of the bad one, we can be on the lookout for them.

Thanks for the follow-up!

tmoore

Post by tmoore »

The cables that worked are Gold-X and two different lengths from Manhattan. The one that didn't work is generically packaged, and simply labeled "USB2 A to Micro B Cable". All purchased from Altex.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”