Is Mintyboost safe to use without a fuse

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nginx

Is Mintyboost safe to use without a fuse

Post by nginx »

Recently my laptop's power supply adapter internally shorted out for no reason. I was saved my the main's fuse and circuit breaker. Had to get a new adapter. I reckon there's always chance the same thing could happen with the Mintyboost's regulator someday. So is it safe to directly connect the batteries to the regulator?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Is Mintyboost safe to use without a fuse

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The mintyboost circuit will shut-down if the output is overloaded. Battery damaging current is usually the result of an assembly error on the board or the circuit board shorting out against the case.

nginx

Post by nginx »

No, I am not worried about the output overloading. What if the input terminals somehow short out? Is there no possibility of that ever happening? Because if it does then the wires and batteries along with holder will all melt. I just want to make sure its perfectly safe without a fuse.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What if the input terminals somehow short out? Is there no possibility of that ever happening?
Rattling around in a min-tin it could certainly short-out. But if you are careful in packaging it, there should be no problem. Double-sided foam-tape is a good insulator and will hold the circuit-board tenaciously.

nginx

Post by nginx »

Ok thanks, I will do that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”